• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
The C modest god

Guild wars MMORPG severs are free?

This topic is 4772 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I got Guild wars for my birthday and was suprised to discover that there is no monthly payment for playing in the servers. How is this possible? Does the servers dont cost that much to maintain?

Advertisement
Well Guild Wars is not an MMRPG like Everquest or World Of Warcraft. It's just an online RPG like Diablo ( BattleNet ) or Dungeon Siege.

In Guild Wars all the world is split in instances for you and your party , except the towns and outposts.

Some info here : http://www.guildwars.com/faq/default.html

Even still, I'm sure that the servers still cost quite a bit to maintain, but if they're anything like Blizzard's other servers, mainly battle.net, AT&T actually fronts a bit of the cost if I'm not mistaken. The servers are connected to AT&T somehow...check it out when you log on it'll say something about it. Anyway, Blizzard is, without a doubt, making plenty of money just selling the game and from other sources. They're still selling numerous copies of Diablo 2 and the expansion. That's a 5 year old game that they spend little to no time on a regular basis improving that they are still making a considerable income from...especially if they keep banning CD keys and people buy more (conspiracy haha?)

-Jeff

Quote:
Original post by GodlyGamr
Anyway, Blizzard is, without a doubt, making plenty of money just selling the game and from other sources.

Actually Blizzard isn't making a dime off of guild wars. ALthough it's not due to bandwidth costs, etc.. it's because it isn't their game :)

Quote:
Original post by Saruman
Quote:
Anyway, Blizzard is, without a doubt, making plenty of money just selling the game and from other sources.

Actually Blizzard isn't making a dime off of guild wars. ALthough it's not due to bandwidth costs, etc.. it's because it isn't their game :)

That quote is referring to Diablo II. They recently mass-banned over 30,000 people. I'd say probably 50% all went and bought new CDs.

Quote:
Original post by Lenox
Quote:
Original post by Saruman
Quote:

That quote is referring to Diablo II. They recently mass-banned over 30,000 people.

30,000 people or 30,000 accounts?

30,000 pairs of CD-Keys as WELL as 30,000 accounts ( Given to each person when they buy the game ). ( A CD-Key ban prevents you from playing on any closed realm )

And the towns/outposts behave like an mmorpg. Essentially, the company is betting that the no-recurring costs model will cause more people to buy the game. The extra sales are then spent on the server maintenance rather than the recurring fees.

I know I wouldn't have bought the game if it had recurring fees.

Quote:

And the towns/outposts behave like an mmorpg

Uh no. Just because there are peoeple in town and that they can chat with eachother doesn't mean it's a MASSIVE multiplayer online role playing game, now does it?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!