Strange performance problems [partially solved]

Started by
10 comments, last by Jnz86 18 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I am writing a 2D game, and i am suprised by VERY bad performance. I am drawing only 2 triangles(NO TEXTURES), and some lines(bullets). The thing is that fps is around 80 and after 5 or so seconds it drops to 15, then again for some time is ok(~80fps) and then it drops again to 15 and so on... I tried on my friend computers and it's the same only worse. (The funny thing is that my system specs are much lower than his and i am getting better fps!) Here's exe, take a look. Here's initilization code: (i am running in windowed mode)

WNDCLASSEX wc = 
			{
			sizeof(WNDCLASSEX), CS_CLASSDC, MsgProc, 0, 0, GetModuleHandle(NULL),
				0,0,0,0, "SolarCombat",0
			};

RECT rec;

rec.top = rec.left = 0;
		rec.right = 1024;
		rec.bottom = 768;

AdjustWindowRect(&rec,WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW,false);		

RegisterClassEx(&wc);

hWnd = CreateWindow("SolarCombat", "Solar Combat", WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW,
			0,0,rec.right,rec.bottom, GetDesktopWindow(),0,wc.hInstance,0);	

//D3D stuff from here!

D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS d3dpp; 
		ZeroMemory( &d3dpp, sizeof(d3dpp) );
		d3dpp.Windowed = true;
		d3dpp.SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD;
		d3dpp.BackBufferFormat = D3DFMT_UNKNOWN;

g_D3D = Direct3DCreate9(D3D_SDK_VERSION);

if(!g_D3D)
			return;

if ( FAILED(g_D3D->CreateDevice(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT,D3DDEVTYPE_HAL,hWnd,D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING,&d3dpp,&g_D3DDevice)))
			if ( FAILED(g_D3D->CreateDevice(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT,D3DDEVTYPE_HAL,hWnd,	D3DCREATE_MIXED_VERTEXPROCESSING,&d3dpp,&g_D3DDevice)))
				if ( FAILED(g_D3D->CreateDevice(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT,D3DDEVTYPE_HAL,hWnd,D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING,&d3dpp,&g_D3DDevice)))
					return ;

By the way i draw all my primitives using DrawPrimitiveUP() function, i dont use vertex buffers. (I am using June 2005 SDK) Any ideas? [Edited by - Jnz86 on August 28, 2005 10:51:10 AM]
Advertisement
Give us the rest of the code as well (especially the rendering code). Everything looks good in that code from what I can tell.
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Ok, here's rendering code:
/*======================namespace d3d9debug======================*/LPD3DXLINE Line = NULL;namespace d3d9debug	{	void DrawLineD(D3DXVECTOR2 p_Start,D3DXVECTOR2 p_End,D3DCOLOR p_Color = D3DCOLOR_XRGB(255,255,255))		{		if(!Line)			D3DXCreateLine(g_D3DDevice,&Line);		D3DXVECTOR2 list[2];		list[0] = p_Start;		list[1] = p_End;		g_D3DDevice->BeginScene();		Line->Draw((D3DXVECTOR2*)&list, 2, p_Color);		g_D3DDevice->EndScene();		}	void DrawTriangleD(D3DXVECTOR4& p_V1,D3DXVECTOR4& p_V2,D3DXVECTOR4& p_V3)		{		vertex_t data[] =			{				{p_V1.x,p_V1.y,0.5f,1,0xff000000},				{p_V2.x,p_V2.y,0.5f,1,0xffffffff},				{p_V3.x,p_V3.y,0.5f,1,0xff000000},			};		g_D3DDevice->BeginScene();			g_D3DDevice->SetFVF(D3DFVF_VERTEX_T);		g_D3DDevice->DrawPrimitiveUP(D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST,1,&data,sizeof(vertex_t));		g_D3DDevice->EndScene();		}	void DrawWTriangleD(const Triangle_t &p_Tri)		{		vertex_t data[]=			{				{p_Tri.Vert[0].x,p_Tri.Vert[0].y,0.5f,1,0x40000000},				{p_Tri.Vert[1].x,p_Tri.Vert[1].y,0.5f,1,0x40000000},				{p_Tri.Vert[2].x,p_Tri.Vert[2].y,0.5f,1,0x40000000},			};		g_D3DDevice->BeginScene();		g_D3DDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE, TRUE);		g_D3DDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_SRCBLEND, D3DBLEND_SRCALPHA);		g_D3DDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_DESTBLEND, D3DBLEND_INVSRCALPHA);			g_D3DDevice->SetFVF(D3DFVF_VERTEX_T);		g_D3DDevice->DrawPrimitiveUP(D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST,3,&data,sizeof(vertex_t));		g_D3DDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE, FALSE);		g_D3DDevice->EndScene();		}	void DrawPlaneD(const Plane_t &p_Plane)		{		D3DXVECTOR2 right;						float p_Angle = D3DXToRadian(90);		float x,y;		x= p_Plane.Normal.x;		y= p_Plane.Normal.y;		right.y = sin(p_Angle)*x + cos(p_Angle)*y;		right.x = cos(p_Angle)*x - sin(p_Angle)*y;		D3DXVECTOR2 V1,V2;				V1 = right*10000 - p_Plane.d*p_Plane.Normal;		V2 = right*(-10000) - p_Plane.d*p_Plane.Normal;		DrawLine(V1,V2,D3DCOLOR_XRGB(255,255,255));		}

Any ideas?
You should only use beginscene and endscene once per render, I believe.

That may be your problem.

So.. remove all of the beginscenes and endscenes from your functions, and then put them at the part where yuo start drawing, and the part you end drawing. That might fix it.
Quote:Original post by Adams555
You should only use beginscene and endscene once per render, I believe.

That may be your problem.

So.. remove all of the beginscenes and endscenes from your functions, and then put them at the part where yuo start drawing, and the part you end drawing. That might fix it.

I haven't recoded my app to what you suggested, but this be the problem, here's what i found on msdn:
Quote:
There should be at most one IDirect3DDevice9::BeginScene/IDirect3DDevice9::EndScene pair between any successive calls to present (either IDirect3DDevice9::Present or IDirect3DSwapChain9::Present). IDirect3DDevice9::BeginScene should be called once before any rendering is performed, and IDirect3DDevice9::EndScene should be called once after all rendering for a frame has been submitted to the runtime. To enable maximal parallelism between the CPU and the graphics accelerator, it is advantageous to call IDirect3DDevice9::EndScene as far ahead of calling present as possible.

Hell, i don't like it. I was used to OpenGL with these glBegin/glEnd calls.I will have to change a lot in my app.
Well, back to coding, will reply if it did helped...
You only need to call begin and end once a frame, so the change is very small. So right before you begin render call BeginScene, and when you are finished rendering call EndScene.
// Main game loopwhile(true){    // Update the objects    scene.update( );    // Clear the back buffer    m_pD3DDevice->Clear(0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET | D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f), 1.0f, 0);    // Now begine scene    m_pD3DDevice->BeginScene( );    // Render the scene    scene.render( );    // We are finished so end the scene    m_pD3DDevice->EndScene( );    // Render to the screen    m_pD3DDevice->Present(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);}

Matt Hughson
__________________________________[ Website ] [ Résumé ] [ [email=contact[at]matthughson[dot]com]Contact[/email] ][ Have I been Helpful? Hook me up! ]
Well, it didn't help.
Here's a pic how fps graph looks like:
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Here's also PIX run file, maybe you can find anything suspicous.
Can you post the workspace?

Matt Hughson
__________________________________[ Website ] [ Résumé ] [ [email=contact[at]matthughson[dot]com]Contact[/email] ][ Have I been Helpful? Hook me up! ]
Quote:Original post by matthughson

Matt Hughson

Sorry, i didn't understood you. Workspace of what?
Quote:Original post by Jnz86
Quote:Original post by matthughson

Matt Hughson

Sorry, i didn't understood you. Workspace of what?

Sorry, that's Visual Studio 6.0 talk. I mean can you post the entire project so we can compile it ourselves and check things out?

Matt Hughson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement