soliciting opinions

Started by
5 comments, last by fnm 18 years, 7 months ago
My current project (just finishing up the design project) is a small simulation game emulating the anime convention going experience. It plays similar to a bord or card game... players create thier character (giving them affinities towards different anime series, as well as traits such as Costumer Girlfriend or Heavy Drinker. Players then take turns (each turn representing about an hour of time) over the weekend of the convention having fun, represented as Victory Points... the number of VP earned dependant on traits and affinities. Whomever has the most VP at the end wins. It's designed multiplayer via hotseat, though I'm wanting to make it mp over the net as well. I was originally planning to program it in Visual Basic or C++, but someone recommended Flash for distribution purposes. What are your opinions (as far as programming languages go) for this particular project?
Advertisement
Use the language you are more comfortable with.
I really don't like scripting for Flash. *shudders*

I'd go with c++ any day. But hey, that's me. Hope it turns out alright for you.
Don't get too caught up in the technicalities of language choice. Seriously.

Choose whichever language you most prefer, be it C++, C#, Visual Basic, Python, Haskell, or anything.

If you aren't experienced enough yet to answer the question of language yourself, then I doubt you'll be exhausting all the features of more advanced languages anyway (no offense meant, of course).

EDIT: Even though this may sound contradictory, I do recommend that you do not use Flash. [smile]
Quote:Original post by Kurlumbenus
I was originally planning to program it in Visual Basic or C++, but someone recommended Flash for distribution purposes.

i'm trying to learn actionscript these days; no fun at all :|
Quote:Original post by fnm

i'm trying to learn actionscript these days; no fun at all :|

I have a basic grasp of both VB and C++; what makes actionscript no fun?
Quote:Original post by Kurlumbenus
I have a basic grasp of both VB and C++; what makes actionscript no fun?

well, after doing c++ for some time, i found irritating that:
- flash fails silently
- you can change a class at runtime
- there is no strict type checking
- debugging a swf==pain
- etc.

please note that, as i said, i'm a n00b at actionscript, so maybe it's not that bad after all, maybe i just have to get used to it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement