• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
HellRaiZer

"Wiregraph" ???

This topic is 4776 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi... I have a little question. Does anybody know how can i "wire" dialogs together, using lines? I mean a way to connect a control of one dialog with a control from another dialog using a line (or a curve). Something like UnrealEd's Material Editor (the lines connecting the dialogs). Or something like RTshader's Wiregraph. Is this somekind of control? How is it called and where can i find more info on that? I searched the net for "wiregraph" but nothing relevant to "GUI" came up. (Wiregraph is how RTshader calls it). Also a program that uses wxWidgets has this (see the applications page on wxWidgets website), but i haven't found anything in wxWidgets. I mean i don't know if it is included as a control class or it is custom made by the company that made the mentioned application. Thanks in advance. HellRaiZer

Advertisement
I haven't seen anything quite like what you're describing, but if it's just a line that connects the two controls, that should be pretty easy to owner-draw. Have your graphics manager retrieve the center point of the control and the center point of the second control, and voila! Draw the connecting line.

This type of control is also referred to as a "Node Graph" or "Schematic View", or something else with "graph" in the name. Other examples of this control are Maya's "Hyper Graph" or SoftImage's material graph editor(Not sure what it's called). 3D Studio Max uses a node graph for s "Particle Flow", which is an event-driven particle system. There's also ShaderWorks, which is similar to RtZen, and was recently bought by Activision. There's another program, which I believe is called "Shade Tree" which is used for wiring up shaders for Renderman. Another one to take a look at is a program called "World Machine", which uses a node graph to create procedural terrain.

Anyway, despite all of these programs which you can look at for reference, I'm not aware of any really good off-the-shelf control for doing these graphs. I'm almost positive that all of the applications above use a completely custom control for their graphs. The only exception may be Max's Particle Flow. I remember that at the beginning of their development they were using some ActiveX control, but I think they may have replaced that later with their own.

-John

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!