• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hawthorne

Lightyears

This topic is 4833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Heya, I have been developing a cool little online game called lightyears and I am ready to start taking online testers. Please be aware that this is a work in progress and there are some gaps in content and in functions but for the most part you are ready to go. Please visit our web page at www.lightyearsgame.com and register for an account and get the client. Its about a 20 meg install right now and the style is space based arcade mmo in the spirit of tradewars and starflight or such styles of games. You can also check out some of the screenshots at that page as well. If you would like to help out more on this project just drop me a line! thanks! -Pat Developer, www.lightyearsgame.com

Advertisement
It is extremely confusing to start out, so confusing, that I couldn't get into the game.

There are some things I need before launch: crew; ship; engine; fuel.

I can't actually choose different ships or engines because I only have the cash for 1 combination - so surely I should just be given them - i'm a new player, so I dont want it to be too complex to start. I named all my officers, bought the crew and ship, but could not find where to get fuel.

I tried F keys and F1 resulted in a crash, I tried every button I could see on screen repeatedly, giving the game a lot more patience than I would normally award a game, I really tried to log in but I just couldn't find where to get fuel.

I started as an Imperialist if that makes a difference... Gotta keep those colonials in check eh ;).

Yes it is a little confusing and I should give you all of that up front and I will add that for sure.

Once you log in you have a ship already and it just needs an engine and then you make a navigator and thats all you need to fly.

I will however start you off in the future with everything you need to fly and a default crew maybe?

Once you have a navigator, a ship, and an engine you can leave stardock.

Any other suggestions? And as far as key's hit escape, and look at the control options, they are all configurable there. Thanks!

-Pat

I'll have another go in a minute, but I think the important thing to achieve is make it so that a new player can click Launch and get into the game immediately and see what it's about. Perhaps the user should be prompted for a navigator name, or maybe have a random name generator or some other method. I think all the shops and stuff is for playing around with once your into the game. Anyway i'll have another go now.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!