• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Adams555

Strange vertex normal problem (Bright spot on other side..)

This topic is 4826 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

FIXED I fiddled with it.. for the life of me I don't know what I did, but its fixed now. [Edited by - Adams555 on August 27, 2005 3:12:59 PM]

Advertisement
Hi there Adams555,
How are you doing?

The Problem
Normals are all buggy.
The Solution
For the better part of the picture your normals seems fine, what you can do is the following which will tell you where your normals are wrong. You might want to draw lines showing the normals. Then you might know exactly where the problems are occuring. Other than that.. some normals seem that they might be inverted.

Try this.
Lock the vertex buffer of a newly created ID3DXMesh object. Then use the D3DXComputeNormals() function to calculate the normals and then render the triangles again.
1) Lock the vertex buffer of a newly created mesh
2) Place your vertex buffer data into the mesh
3) Compute the normals of the mesh using D3DXComputeNormals()

I hope this helps a bit. Take care buddy.

When you solve your own problem, please leave the initial post intact. That way, it remains a reference for people who visit this thread, and see people's suggestions. It's also preferrable to add how you solved your own problem.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!