New to Direct X... Where to start?

Started by
4 comments, last by Ray2k 18 years, 7 months ago
I want to learn how to make games in C++ using Direct X but I cannot find a good place to start. All of the tutorials I've looked at are not well explained and just show the code. If you make games in C++ with Direct X, where did you start. I have not yet gotten any books on Direct X yet but I'm thinking about getting Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9. Is this a good book for a complete beginer to Direct X programming (I've only programmed basic console text based applications). Thanks.
Advertisement
Well...I started reading the DirectX documentation... :P
A great book, in my opinion. My first read. By the time you finish, you can walk on terrain, program shaders, and a bunch of other stuff. I recommend it.

ProgrammingNerd
ProgrammingNerd,

Would you say that to Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9 is a good book for the absolute beginner in the area of Direct X?

Thanks,
Programmerml
Definitely. You don't even need to know windows programming. It starts out doing simple stuff like initialization, then it gets to using meshes, and then to terrain rendering and shaders.

A great book, worth every cent,
ProgrammingNerd
I've found the drunkenhyena tutorials (www.drunkenhyena.com) very useful in grasping Direct3d, but that's with a basic knowledge of the DX structure and basic knowledge of DirectDraw beforehand, but they're very well explained if you know a bit of C++.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement