[java] Java Development on Linux

Started by
5 comments, last by Kevinator 18 years, 7 months ago
anyone doing it? any major complications i should know about? ( coming from a MS background ) oh and also, do you know any open source java communities?
-www.freewebs.com/tm1rbrt -> check out my gameboy emulator ( worklog updated regularly )
Advertisement
Not personally developing with java on linux, but take a look at GCJ. There's a pretty good article about it here. If memory serves me right, some distros use GCJ to compile the java parts of OpenOffice.org
Oddlabs do their development on Linux machines. Pop along and visit their forums as there are a lot of Linux-heads in there.

Cas :)
In my personal experience of running and devloping JAVA software on Linux the only thing you needs to worry about are file names and cas sensitivity. There are probably other things too, but I haven't encountered many. All JAVA programs I ever used or wrote seemed to run without trouble, wether they were built on Linux or Windows. Oh yeah, I'd reccomend using Swing for GUI so you get a consistent interface.
One thing to note: Many people say they have been having lots of trouble with newer Java versions (at least the Sun ones). Personally I haven't had any trouble so far, though. I also always use Sun Java and never Blackdown or anything like that.
We use it at school on linux. All I can say is get eclipse if you plan on developing in java.

The only thing with gcj is you gotta make sure your package of it compiled it with gtk support, otherwise anything using awt/swing will not work with gcj. The other problem with gcj is they haven't ported the regex libraries yet. Those are the only complications I know of.
No, there isn't really anything you need to know. java is portable, remember? I've never coded anything in Linux that didn't work in Windows and vice versa.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement