Question about coding games

Started by
7 comments, last by Fixxer 18 years, 7 months ago
I was reading my Windows Game Programming book, and i read that using high level SDK's (N3D, DarkSDK) will cause major memory usage and speed reduction rather than coding the game your self using direct x. I am wondering from your experience have you found this to be true?
Advertisement
I have never in fact heard of those "high level" sdk's.

But unless you are making a commercial quality game or if you have a computer from 1992, it wont really matter.
I also haven't used any of those personally. But I can bet that they are based on some other SDK such as DirectX or OpenGL or something along those lines. Whether or not they are faster or slower than DirectX or the non-platform-specific equivalent really depends on a comparison of you as a programmer, and the creator of the 'high level' SDK as a programmer. Assuming those SDKs are based on others, it depends on whether or not those SDKs were efficiently programmed and whether you as a coder could write more efficient code than whoever wrote DarkSDK for example. Knowing that, the choice is yours.

-Jeff
Yea i suppose thats true. N3D is either OpenGL or DirectX and DarkSDK is DirectX. They are just high level wrappers. It said that using a lot of function calls, especially those with pramaters slows down the game. Im pretty sure I cannot program better than those who wrote these full scale SDK's, but this is the way im looking at it.

My book reccomends I dont use them.

It will cost me an extra $140 to get the correct license to sell my stuff if i use the sdk.

If I ever get on a professional dev team (like I hope I do :) I wont be using these high level sdk's, Ill probably using directx so its probably a good time to start now anyway.
Professionals use "high-level" libraries all the time.
Also there are plenty of free libraries out there. Irrlicht,for example, will provide you with a scene graph and utilities for loading animated meshes and textures and it's free.

P.S. if you want to know what a library is capable of, see if you can find some projects that other poeple have done that use the library.
hey Fixxer, I remember your name, used to play a lot of Starcraft? Who was it that ran SC:Evolution?
Actualy I hate that game >.< So it wasnt me.
I play the game infantry alot under this name though. Its my fav game.
Fixxxer is a metallica song, but I didnt like 3 x's so I removed one.

http://infantry.station.sony.com/en/main.jsp
The video doesnt do the game justice, its very low quality, but it give you the idea.
It might be true (or it might not!) that these SDKs use more memory and run more slowly than using DirectX, but the major advantage is that you can concentrate on the important aspects of your game and not have to spend 80% of your time dealing with all the low-level code.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Yea thats true. For those of you who havnt seen these SDKs. here they are.
I have used the DSDK for a little bit, and N3D just had the 3d part added to it, I havnt used it yet.

DGSDK
N3D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement