• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
saske

.map, .bsp confusion???

This topic is 4770 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am new to 3D game development. I have very little information on how levels in a game are made. Are modelling s/w like 3DS Max used to make the levels? If so, then how are these maps converted to .bsp files. I was thinking of using Irrlicht as a 3D engine. Any information would be highly appreciated.

Advertisement
For create Quake 3 maps you can use Q3radiant. Google for that :)
With that tool, you also can compile .map files to .bsp files.
I tested some maps made with Q3Radiant on Irrlicht, and works good.

I have limited knowledge here, but it's depending on the tools you have and the game.
For some games or engines you can use 3DS or MAYA to make props, structures and sometimes whole maps. Other games can require special built editors just made for them.

These maps may be imported into a map builder tool that exports or compile a version of "map" speciffic to your game.

Let's take the .BSP for example. It require some sort of map editor, that can model the floors and walls in rectangular "cubes". This is required by the .BSP format, when it can only handle "convex surfaces" (hope i got that right).
The .MAP format you get when saving a map in your favourite Quake map editor consist of all the data for your level, but it's not before you export it as a .BSP all the visibility calculations and the "BSP Tree" is calculated.

Quote:
Original post by Android_s
I have limited knowledge here, but it's depending on the tools you have and the game.
For some games or engines you can use 3DS or MAYA to make props, structures and sometimes whole maps. Other games can require special built editors just made for them.

These maps may be imported into a map builder tool that exports or compile a version of "map" speciffic to your game.

Let's take the .BSP for example. It require some sort of map editor, that can model the floors and walls in rectangular "cubes". This is required by the .BSP format, when it can only handle "convex surfaces" (hope i got that right).
The .MAP format you get when saving a map in your favourite Quake map editor consist of all the data for your level, but it's not before you export it as a .BSP all the visibility calculations and the "BSP Tree" is calculated.

Thanks for the help. But this brings another question- when you said that the .map file has all the data concerning the level, then does it mean that it will have all the bots positions, spawning points,starting point of the level etc, defined in it? Also, if so, then doesn't the game become too quake dependent? If instead, we think of making our own map editor, will it be feasible?How does one go about making one? Sorry for the twenty questions, but they keep cropping up in my mind.

As i said earlier, my knowledge of this is limited, but i'll try to answear your questions the best i can...

I think it is so that the .MAP file indeed contain all info, all level geometry, all starting positions and armor shard positions. Almost everything that isn't part of the actual geometry is called entities, and that is starting positions and armor pickups etc. When you compile the map to a bsp file, the entityes get baked into the file. If you were to change the entities to another games entity list, then that game could use the .bsp file instead. The geometry however shouldn't change much in means of BSP calculation and vertex storage.

By switching out that entity file and change the settings of your map editor, a game can become completely non-quake-dependant. =)

Ok, making your own level editor. If you have a game that has some new kind of visibility determination or level "storage", yes, you will HAVE to create your own level editor. If the differences arent that much from another level format, it might be enough to change a file or setting in an already existing editor and use that.
I can't tell how to make one...it wouldn't be an easy task, but if you read up on 3D developement and a few of the existing level formats, you should get a basic idea of how to make one.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!