• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Lord Hen

How RPG Maker 2000's Tilesets work

This topic is 4772 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well...RM2K has much better tilesets than anything I could ever put together, so I figured I would use them. But, I dont know exactly how it puts the tiles together. Say you have a map filled with grass, and there is a path of dirt. The dirt path is created by piecing like, 2-4 different tiles together for each tile. I spent a good hour trying to put a tileset together that already contains the tiles like they are generated, but its too tedious. Does anyone know how rm2k puts its tiles together? Thanks.

Advertisement
If I remember correctly the default water, pathway, and sand tiles are created by ten different tiles. When putting down one of these tiles in your editor you should check the other tiles around the one you are placing, then pick the correct tile to place down. For example if you place a tile that has another tile to the left and bottom, then you would make a top right corner tile be placed.

I hope this somewhat answered something.

Yes, there are 10 different tiles. But the engine actually splices together new tiles from the original 10. The 10 in the tileset are definitely not sufficient for making a path.

I just dont want to go through the bother of figuring out exactly how it pieces them together. But if nobody already knows, then I have to do it myself, or find a different (most likely worse) tileset. And doing it myself could take a long time.

Later.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!