• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dcuk

starting up

This topic is 4829 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, i've just read a c++ learning book understand it well but implementation and using c++ to make games is another story, i don't know c++ that well to start up own program as such but is their a way to put it all together ie: like a database of functions, etc. like creating a simple pong game is there in my reaches, the step up is really big surprised to find not much about it, theres all opengl stuff but not at that level yet have not even programmed anything. thanks for reading.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by dcuk
hi, i've just read a c++ learning book understand it well but implementation and using c++ to make games is another story, i don't know c++ that well to start up own program as such but is their a way to put it all together ie: like a database of functions, etc.

like creating a simple pong game is there in my reaches, the step up is really big surprised to find not much about it, theres all opengl stuff but not at that level yet have not even programmed anything.

thanks for reading.

Ok, maybe I'm just slow (just woke up), but I'm having a hard time making sense of your post. Some punctuation might help... [wink]

But anyway, "a database of functions" is basically what your program is, isn't it? Or do you mean a database where you can look up the existing functions? (If so, try www.cppreference.com)

Creating a simple Pong game isn't within your reach.
What you need to do is learn C++ properly. That doesn't mean reading a book, it means doing every damn exercise in the book yourself, and after that, spending a good while making text-based programs yourself, to make sure that *you* have *written* programs that explore every aspect of the language.
Once you can do that.... Well, then you're probably going to have a lot more of it before you get to the point where you can make sense of stuff like OpenGL.

So basically, go back and read through the book again, but this time, make sure you write small programs to test what you've learned after every single chapter. There's no shortcut possible. Reading it is one thing, but if you want to be able to use it, then you need to get your hands dirty and try it all out yourself.

Once you've made every console program you can think of, and you feel that you could write a text-based Quake, you can start looking at graphics and other API's.

Oh don't think about OpenGL and databases yet. If you havn't programmed before that stuff is way over your head.
Start out from the beginning. Write a small application, for example a "hello world" app, and continue from there. If you understood that book then chances are you may advance quickly.

A small C++ Hello World app can look like this, just to get you started =)

#include <iostream> // this makes cout and endl accessible

int main() // main function. This is the starting point for your app
{
std::cout << "Hello World!" << std::endl; // cout output stuff to the screen (might stand for console out? :) ) and endl is a line break

return 0; // because main is of type int, return 0
}

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!