• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
LPVOID_CH

DirectInput and ASCII Codes

This topic is 4769 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi all. how can you get ASCII codes from the keyboard with direct input? i'm writing a console for my game and i dont want to test all keys with DIK_A, DIK_B, ... thx

Advertisement
You might be better off collecting WM_CHAR messages in your Windows message loop for text input. It gives you support for international characters, as well as things like autorepeat.

I'm fighting with the same problem (though not using DInput). I was thinking about using a similar function to the one given in that article:

static int scan2ascii(DWORD scancode, ushort* result)
{
static HKL layout=GetKeyboardLayout(0);
static uchar State[256];

if (GetKeyboardState(State)==FALSE)
return 0;
UINT vk=MapVirtualKeyEx(scancode,1,layout);
return ToAsciiEx(vk,scancode,State,result,0,layout);
}

But I'm concerned of the performance issues. What if you call this function numerous times in one frame? Wouldn't GetKeyboardLayout and GetKeyboardState be doing redundant work?

At any rate, if you have a key input manager already taking the keyboard state each frame, I would imagine that just calling ToAscii would be enough. That, I suspect, is what I will be doing.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!