• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
odi

parallel movement

This topic is 4680 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everybody, i'm new here :) I'd like to know how to create parallel movement such as 2 people moving... I guess it has to do with giving each object a time slice in which it will move. Anybody has a link to an explanation of this stuff or something? or if there is any other way.... thanx :) [Edited by - odi on August 28, 2005 11:13:30 AM]

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
In many games, all the game objects have their state updated in some arbitrary order determined by the design. For example, if there is a player and a list of enemies, each frame the game might move the player (in accordance with the game physics and user input) and then move each enemy one at a time. This is simple and works well for games that don't attempt to emulate real world physics too closely. Then after everything's state has been updated, it is redrawn. Anything that moved will now be shown in its new position.

Games that attempt to have more realistic, real-world physics can be a bit more complicated because real-world physics can involve solving for several interacting objects' movements simultaneously. This is a more advanced topic. There are algorithms involved that attempt to solve for the objects' positions in accordance with physical laws simultaneously, often by iterating through each object multiple times, each time applying the physical constraints on that object and hopefully converging towards a solution that apporoximates realistic physics. But many games have far simpler videogame type physics that don't attempt to match real physics (often newton's laws of motion and gravity are simply not in effect). For videogameish physics, just ignore all this complexity about physics simulation and do something like what I said in the first paragraph.

1. thanks :)
2. suppose i want to save a model +its movement info in a file and then load it, I'll have to load the animation infomation into some kind of a structure and then do a part of the movement each time slice?
is there any better way?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!