• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hedos

Integrating a browser or HTML renderer into a C++ application?

This topic is 4824 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'm looking for a way to integrate an HTML renderer into my C++ application. It would have to be portable (Well, working on Windows and Linux is all I need) and preferably have a license allowing me to use it for free in a closed source application (or at least with a reasonable price). Would anybody know of a library I could use? I took a look at Mozilla, but it seems rather complex and probably overkill for what I need. I don't need a full web browser, I only need basic HTML rendering capabilities. Thanks.

Advertisement
wxWindows has the wxHtmlWindow control and is LGPL, so as long as you use it right you can use it in a closed source application.

I should have said that I'm working with QT. (Which has some really basic HTML rendering capabilities, but too basic)

Do you think any of those two solutions could be integrated into a QT application?

you could try something like this:
- build a stripped-down version of fltk (only the Fl_Help_View and its dependencies).
- make a window with a Fl_Help_View in it.
- embed that window in your application (i guess qt has some setParentWindow() or similar function).

it may worth a try.

HTH

I ended up writing my own. Existing alternatives were either too pricy or too big for my needs. I used Spirit to write the parser for it, but later realized a simple DFA can do the trick just fine.

The mozilla source code can be used in "embedded" mode to integrate a browswer inside a C++ app. That might be easier than trying to rip apart mozilla to put it in your app:)

Cheers
Chris

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!