• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
PaulCesar

Free fonts to use?

This topic is 4766 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, Im looking for nice alternatives to standard fonts that I can include with a game/GUI system im working on. Basicaly, a few nice clean serif and sans-serif fonts would be nice, similar to arial, helvetica, etc, though freely distributable (I can use them in commercial software, and DISTRIBUTE with commercial software. Im sure people have been in this situation before, and I have already found one decent one (Anonomous, a TTF originaly built as a MAC font..) but am looking for more, especialy of the sans-serif variety. Thanks In Advance! Richard

Advertisement
Or just go here, and don't bother with all the other sites. All of Aenigma's fonts are free to use as you want. They are all royalty free. A lot of the fonts on those free fonts sites come in zips with no readme.txt or anything to actually give you clearance, and some of them I notice are from old collections I have here, and actually do cost money to license, when you track down the actual creator (copywrite in the TTF file).

http://www.aenigmafonts.com

The only problem with Aenigma's fonts is that most of them end up being too stylized for their own good, as not all of them have proper capital Ns he likes to do big 'n's, and other little things like that.

Thanks Vampire, much appreciated!

Yes, I have noticed and understand that, the last thing I want at the beginning of a release is a law suit! Where I wouldent usualy think twice about using them in print, there is no way you could catch me distributing fonts like that with software, hence the reason i was looking for exactly what you provided!

rating++

I use Bitstream's Vera family in my projects. Besides being very good looking and professional font faces, they have a very generous license. Basically, you can do whatever you want with them, as long as you do not sell the fonts themselves. If they are part of a larger project, such as a game, you are allowed to distribute them, even if the project is a commercial.

More details about the license can be found here: http://www.gnome.org/fonts/

The fonts can be downloaded from GNOME's FTP.

Quote:
Original post by Peregrin
I use Bitstream's Vera family in my projects. Besides being very good looking and professional font faces, they have a very generous license. Basically, you can do whatever you want with them, as long as you do not sell the fonts themselves. If they are part of a larger project, such as a game, you are allowed to distribute them, even if the project is a commercial.

More details about the license can be found here: http://www.gnome.org/fonts/

The fonts can be downloaded from GNOME's FTP.

What types of fonts are these? TTF? .fon?

I had thought there was a TTF patent that stopped the OSS crowd from being able to use them? Guess not.

Hey,

Second bitstream vera.

Great font, very nice, professional.

Vampyre_Dark: Yeah, Apple has a patent on using some particular hinting operation. But you can safely use some other hinting routine [at slightly reduced quality]. That's as I understand the issue. There's more on freetype.org about it, but basically, you don't need to use it.

In those cases, the additional hinting information is ignored.

Also, to the OP. Double and triple check every font that you find online. As has been stated here, they are some of the most dodgy assets you can possibly try to use. Even if the font has 'public domain' or 'free for all use' in its copyright doesn't mean that it actually is, the online font trade is relatively notorious for theft and rebranding of preexisting, and often copyrighted fonts.

--CJM

I looked it up, and found a reference to the patent problem with regard to the open source FreeType library. From Wikipedia:
Quote:

There are potential patent infringements in FreeType 1 because parts of the TrueType hinting virtual machine were patented by Apple, a fact not mentioned in the TrueType standards.

However, Freetype 2 (on which SDL_ttf and many other libraries are based), doesn't infringe. It comes with the problematic part - the bytecode interpreter - switched off by default, and it's up to the users to toggle it on during compile time. More info can be found here.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!