• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Boomba

Terrain/Landscape generating

This topic is 4825 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, i'm using direct 3d and C++ and am very unsure about where to start with learning methods for real time terrain generating. I understand the idea of using a height map. But I cant seem to find anything that would help me get started on learning how to actually impliment it in C++/direct 3d. I have read articles ont his site..butt hey seem a little ahead of me ...i'm trying to find where to start. I guess something with source code examples would help me get on the right track. thanx in advance, Boomba

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
If you want to know the basics of rendering a heightmap, you could check out the NeHe tutorial. Although it uses OpenGL, the concepts could easily be applied to D3D or something else.
To render a terrain efficiently though, you need to make some optimizations. Google for Geomipmapping, or Quadtree-based Frustum Culling.
If you want to generate a heightmap, you could check out libnoise, or google for articles on perlin noise.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Oops! For some reason, my links didn't show up.
NeHe tutorial: http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=34
Libnoise: http://libnoise.sourceforge.net/

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!