• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
donjonson

I have a few questions about book recomendations

This topic is 4681 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been learning c++ and Dx for a few months now. I am now capable of creating basic 3d graphics and moderate 2d games. I have an interest in becoming very proficient with DirectX programmnig. I would like to learn 3d progrimg and know the pipeline inside and out. I would like to master directX and learn everything about graphics programming. I know it doesn't happen overnight and I am willing to start at the beginning and slowly work my way to the end. I also would like to master physics implementatoin. not just cheesy workarounds that pass for physics but acutal simulations of a system of bodies that adhere as strickly as possible to the laws of physics in the real world. again I understand that these are high goals so I want you to understand that I grasp the reality of what I am saying. based on those two catagories what books would you reccomend to get me started off down those two roads. I have been concidering .game coding complete 2nd edition, programming role playing games in direct X 2nd edition and game programming gems 5, Game Physics (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Interactive 3D Technology<).> I think I am going to buy the rpg one first because it covers a broad range of valuable topics that interest me. But I am here for your opinions if you don't think those books are the best choices then reccomend something else. I have taken calc 1-3, physcs 1&2, diff Eq, and linear algebra. I am currently working on my bachelors for electrical engineering So if you want to recomend a book that is a little on the heavy side of the math and physics I think I can probably handle it. Thank you very much for your help

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
A friend of mine, Andre Lamothe, has a book titled "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus - Volume 1 & 2" is probably the best you're going to find out there. It is extremely detailed and WAY out of my league to understand, but he starts you off with Direct2d and slowly goes into Direct3d. His second volume was so big that he had to put the last 200 pages in the CD-ROM. It's that detailed, and every page is worth the read.

First volume to get started:
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672323699/702-3293397-1048833

Neither Game Coding Complete, Programming RPGs in DirectX, nor any Game Programming Gems books will teach you what you want to know about 3D graphics. Neither will Lamothe's first book. These are all for 2D graphics and basic game programming concepts (input, sound, etc.).

However, "Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus," Lamothe's second volume (recommended above) will teach you how to do 3D in the detail you probably want. You won't learn Direct3D per se, but you will learn how to use DirectDraw to create a 3D software rasterizer. So you'll learn about EVERYTHING you need to know to make 3D games. And then Direct3D is just the next step - translating all the stuff you know into Direct3D function calls. It's the best way to learn all the theory behind the 3D pipeline and 3D graphics.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!