• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
maverick20

Is game programming Difficult???

This topic is 4673 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Personally, I find it one of the most sophisticated peices of art mankind has ever invented, but it's doable if you study hard and not hurry too much.

Mostly, yes.. But it obviously matters whether you're making an MMORPG or a tetris.. Also, unfortunatly, it's harder for some than for others..

No, game programming is no different from other programming, and programming in general is not all that diffucult. You have a goal to accompish, so you write the code that will accompish it.

What is difficult is the whole process of planning the project, managing resources and time, as well as the many other aspects to making a game, such as the media content.

Game Development is difficult.

If I gave you a complete design doc for a game, such as Pacman, and everything was properly modeled out and detailed to how it should work all together, then you as a programmer would not have a problem making it - since everything is already planned out and all that has to be done is write the code that does what is needed. Of course I'd not only give you the design doc, but all the other various documents that are necessary.

Now if you tried to write Pacman tonight without any guidence, you would say how difficult it is. But it's not from the programming that has to be done, but because there is no PLAN. This is a concept most game programmers on this board will never understand - well that is until they take a class in Software Engineering [wink]

Just my opinions on this matter. Feel free to disagree [smile]

I would say Game Programming is not easy.

But that doesn't make it difficult.

Game programming is logical - there are no guessing games, even when looking for things like unkown bugs. There are procedures and techniques to use for everything. So sometimes it can be challenging, but I wouldn't use the blanket term "difficult."

I'm with DB on this one - nothing hard about programming, only planning. I reckon many, maybe most, of the hobbyists on GDNet are, like myself, self-taught. The problem with being self-taught is that it might be a long, *long* time between when you first learn to write code and when you first learn to write real programs. It seems to me, you can breeze through the "learning to program", get OK at it, have an excellent plan and do amazing things... or you can just keep using what you know and adding skills at certain techniques, algorithms, API's, ... but never planning. That's what I spent the vast majority of my programming life doing. As such, I'm very good at tactical programming (hacking) where, once the problem is understood, the code flies out as fast as thought, and I can even describe my big ideas in excruciating detail. It's just that middle area where all of that excruciating detail gets translated into short-term goals to be achieved tactically... ech... it's sad, after nearly 12 years I still have very little to show. So learn to plan, yes. And for that, I'd recommend writing more complex programs where it's more about structure than anything else, just to exercise that skill, before working on games. I recommend web apps, but that might just be because of my newfound love for RoR...

Guest Anonymous Poster
Maybe the most difficult part is allowing designers telling you how to program :) But yes, documentation is the key to a successful product.

Set realistic goals and it won't be.

Mowing the lawn is easy, most everyone can do it themselves after a small period of learning how the lawnmower works. Likewise with making games.

The problem however, is that people do not seem to realize that there are different levels of game programming. I can, and so do you, tackle Pong and get done with it in a respectable amount of time. But what happens when you get to GTA ? Well, there's obviously more complicated technology at work, and you need to learn new things as you go, but it isn't significantly more difficult. It's doing it by yourself in a reasonnable amount of time that is impossible.

Bottom line is, while mowing the lawn is easy. Taking a whole golf court by yourself is pretty another story. Therefore, you should concentrate on making your little piece of lawn the most beautiful little piece of lawn there is. It will be considerably easier and way more rewarding.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!