SDL: How do I continuously move while holding down an axis on a joystick?

Started by
4 comments, last by Lazy Foo 18 years, 7 months ago
Here's a snip of the code:

// message pump
    while (!gameover)
    {
        // handle sprite movement
        keystate = SDL_GetKeyState(NULL);

// look for an event
        if (SDL_PollEvent(&event)) 
        {
            // handle joystick motion
            case SDL_JOYAXISMOTION:
                if((event.jaxis.value < -3200) || (event.jaxis.value > 3200))
                {
                    // left/right movement
                    if(event.jaxis.axis == 0)
                    {
                        // left
                        if(event.jaxis.value < 0)
                        {
                            rcSprite.x -= 2;
                        }

//// right
                         if(event.jaxis.value > 0)
                        {
                            rcSprite.x += 2;
                        }
                    }

// up/down movement
                    if(event.jaxis.axis == 1)
                    {
                        // up
                        if(event.jaxis.value < 1)
                        {
                            rcSprite.y -= 2;
                        }

// down
                         if(event.jaxis.value > 1)
                        {
                            rcSprite.y += 2;
                        }
                    }
                }
                break;

With this code, the sprite will be moved by -2/+2 spaces (pixel) for the direction pressed. What do I have to do to keep the sprite moving in that direction when the corresponding axis is held down? If I hold down the left directional pad, I want the sprite to continuously move to the left (or vise versa). I tried sticking in a while loop but this caused the program to lockup! :( Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisement
Hmm, why don't you try using your event loop to set booleans. Ie:

if (SDL_PollEvent(&event))         {            // handle joystick motion            case SDL_JOYAXISMOTION:                if((event.jaxis.value < -3200) || (event.jaxis.value > 3200))                {                    // left/right movement                    if(event.jaxis.axis == 0)                    {                        // left                        if(event.jaxis.value < 0)                        {                            left_move = true;                        }                        //// right                         if(event.jaxis.value > 0)                        {                            right_move = true;                        }                    }                    // up/down movement                    if(event.jaxis.axis == 1)                    {                        // up                        if(event.jaxis.value < 1)                        {                            up_move = true;                        }                        // down                         if(event.jaxis.value > 1)                        {                            down_move = true;                        }                    }                }                // Else, user is not pressing down joystick anymore                else {                  left_move = false;                  right_move = false;                  up_move = false;                  down_move = false;                }                break;

That's how I plan to do it in my event loop (I havent' gotten around to doing joystick support yet, so I'm not 100% sure if the event loop above works like I think it will). In my game I always set boolean variables in a singleton "GameInput" class that monitors events. Each event (like move up, 'confirm', 'cancel', etc.) has three booleans associated with it: state, press, and release. Press and release are only true for one pass through the game loop, where as state will be true as long as the event in question is active. This way, you can easily monitor whether any button has just been pressed, is being pressed down, has just been released, or isn't being pressed down. Then whatever game logic you write can just look at these booleans, instead of bothering with the details of the game event queue loop. [smile]

Hope that makes sense. I can post the source of my game input management if you'd like.

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

Rather than base it on the events, which are triggered on the first time the event happens, use the provided functions to control everything. For example:
int x_move, y_move;SDL_Joystick *joy1;joy1=SDL_JoystickOpen(0);...// handle sprite movementkeystate = SDL_GetKeyState(NULL);x_move = SDL_JoystickGetAxis(joy1, 0);y_move = SDL_JoystickGetAxis(joy1, 1);if( x_move > 3200 ){}if( x_move < -3200 ){}if( y_move > 3200 ){}if( y_move < -3200 ){}// look for an eventif (SDL_PollEvent(&event)) {   ...}...

Give that a try and see if it's what you need. More information can be found in the docs/html/joystick.html file as part of the SDL documentation.
Quote:Original post by Drew_Benton
Rather than base it on the events, which are triggered on the first time the event happens, use the provided functions to control everything. For example:
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Give that a try and see if it's what you need. More information can be found in the docs/html/joystick.html file as part of the SDL documentation.

Horay! Thanks Drew_Benton, that worked! I was lead down the wrong path by this line in the SDL documentation:

"Ideally joysticks should be read using the event system."

BTW, I'm new at SDL (long time game player short time game programmer). I based the code from this page:

http://tonyandpaige.com/tutorials/sdl2.html

A little about myself. I've tinkered with several game-related programming including VB 3.x, Irrlicht 3D engine, darkbasic, 3d game studio, verge, rpg maker 200X, directx (very little), and windows GDI.

I plan to make a castlevania remake to learn SDL much like this:

http://www.castlevania.nzone.it/

The only thing annoying about the above clone is that it's very pixelated because it uses the original sprites for the NES version. I'm hoping to make it less annoying while playing on the PC (adding graphic/pixel filters commonly seen in emulators). Also, it adheres too much to the limitation of the NES version that it's based upon. But this could be that the author wants to be as faithful as possible to the original. I plan to make it more modern like the castlevania series on the GBA.

At any rate, I know I'll have more questions! I haven't put up a web site yet as I've just started coding using SDL (so there's not much to look at the moment).
Ah yes,
Quote:Ideally joysticks should be read using the event system

But then again, ideally you want something that will work [wink]. For the time being, I'd say it's fine to use those functions. I mean I wrote an input library (temporary, but permanent for now link) for the mouse and keyboard a while back. I based it all on the SDL event system and it worked pretty good. However, I could have just used the wrapper functions rather than events in my system, and achieved the *exact*
results. (i.e. use SDL_GetKeyState & etc..).

The only reason the joystick support is not there is because using the Joystick with the events proved to be a royal pain when I tried to add it in. I never got around to adding it in, but if I get time to finish the library, I'll probabally end up using the Joystick subset of functions rather than events. Who knows though, perhaps other have had more success using the joystick with events.

Anyways, good luck with your game, feel free to take a look at that Input Library. While I never got around to adding the joystick as mentioned before, I can say it has some very useful features in it if you are interested in using it or derivations of it for your game (if you just need some examples of how to approach the whole game input issue).
I have a tutorial that covers that
Lazy Foo's SDL tutorials

[Edited by - Lazy Foo on August 9, 2007 7:04:59 PM]

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement