• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gnomer

how's my recursion?

This topic is 4775 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm just looking for some comments on how I'm handling recursion in these little exercises. Any feedback is appreciated.
Quote:
(Print an array) Write a recursive function printArray that takes an array and the size of the array as arguments and returns nothing. The function should stop processing and return when it receives an array of size zero.
#include <iostream>

using std::cout;
using std::endl;

void printArray( int a[], int size );

int main()
{
	const int arraySize = 10;
	int array[arraySize] = { 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 };

printArray( array, arraySize );

return 0;

}	// end main

void printArray( int a[], int size )
{
	if ( size > 0 )
	{
		printArray( a, size - 1 );
		cout << a[size - 1] << endl;
	}

}	// end function printArray

Quote:
(Print a string backwards) Write a recursive function stringReverse that takes a character array containing a string as an argument, prints the string backwards and returns nothing. The function should stop processing and return when the terminating null character is encountered.
#include <iostream>

using std::cout;
using std::endl;

void stringReverse( char a[] );

int main()
{
	char string[] = "hello there";

cout << string << endl;
	stringReverse( string );

cout << endl;

return 0;
}

void stringReverse( char a[] )
{
	static int i = 0;
	int x = i;

if ( a != '\0' )
	{
		++i;
		stringReverse( a );
		cout << a[x];
	}

i = 0;

}	// end function stringReverse

Advertisement
They're simple and they work, so there's not much more to be said, really. Never lose sight of the fact that these are totally artificial exercises, however.

Quote:
Original post by gnomer
Quote:
(Print a string backwards) Write a recursive function stringReverse that takes a character array containing a string as an argument, prints the string backwards and returns nothing. The function should stop processing and return when the terminating null character is encountered.

void stringReverse( char a[] )
{
static int i = 0;
int x = i;

if ( a != '\0' )
{
++i;
stringReverse( a );
cout << a[x];
}

i = 0;

} // end function stringReverse

I imagine that your proffessor (assuming this is for a class) will disagree with your use of a static variable here, especially when there is a much simpler solution to be found. Remember that an array variable can be manipulated just like a pointer...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!