• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dxFoo

[java] Why is Netbeans 4.1 slow?

This topic is 4774 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Created by Sun, in Java obviously, Netbeans was compiled using a JIT compiler, hense why there's an .exe extension. It's the slowest IDE I've ever used! I had to go back to JCreator just because it was compiled in C++ for performance reasons. I'm just wondering if every advanced project is slow as Sun's official product. It didn't really help their reputation in performance matters. I thought JIT fixed that. Thoughts are welcomed. It was just a little shocking to me. Phil

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
You're right, netbeans is slow and ugly. I have no idea what people see in it (except that it has a good and free profiler + quite good gui editor as far as i know). Just use eclipse.

You're right! Netbeans is the slowest ide I ever used, and I use it just because the other free ides I tried didn't seem to be as featured as Netbeans (except eclipse, perhaps, but I never tried it because I'm a bit scared by those rumors that say it is hard to configure and use).
I really don't know: if sun isn't able to use java to build fast code, who should be?

Strange, I haven't had any problems with NetBeans. Only the Form editor takes a slight while to load the first time. Eclipse is much worse. Of course NetBeans does take a while to load, which can be annoying.

Quote:
using a JIT compiler, hense why there's an .exe extension

Umm. No :) The file extension has nothing to do with the JIT Compiler. :) Also, as Hoare showed quite impressively a few decades ago, clean programming and better algorithms achieve more than a better compiler/assembler could.

I use it too, mostly because it's "easy" linking with the WTKs. But hell it sure is slow. So much that it depresses me and makes want to break everything sometimes. Like Mr Carmack said about Netbeans, there is something deeply wrong when text editing on a 3.6 ghz processor is anything but instantaneous.

And he really meant text editing, not compiling or debugging or something. Netbeans actually hangs when editing files. Good grief.

It's a real memory hog. Anything less than 1Gb of RAM and you'll be spending most of your time doing hard drive swaps. And I think the GUI uses Swing, yuck!

Get Eclipse, just about the same feature pack (plus a whole lotta plug-ins to cover every need) but much better performance (SWT >> AWT and certainly Swing).

shmoove

[edit]
Or, if you consider yourself a Real Programmer(tm), get to know Ant, and use Textpad or something for the editing. [wink]
[/edit]

My favorite times developing in Java were when I used notepad to code and the command prompt to compile and run.

Really. :D

I'm one of those guys who uses nothing but TextPad, Ant and the Compiler. TextPad helps with stuff like editing XML, and Lisp syntax highlighting (Eclipse can probably do this, but I find Eclipse to be damn slow too).

I also like to organize my own projects. I'm not buying into the way NetBeans or Eclipse does things. I also added one other tool to the above set: RefactorIT (a java refactoring tool) -- and though this could plug into Eclipse or NetBeans -- I prefer to keep it as a stand alone tool, and use it when I need it, and it too requires a good chunk of memory.

IMHO, all IDE tools should be mostly seperate tools, or modules. And when I perfect my own text editor you'll see what I mean.

L-

If any one here would like the Ant script that does most of the work just post here -- its pretty well organized and I have been able to start many project simply by doing a find/replace on the project name. Though this could be made even easier if putting the project name in the HTML copyright section isn't required.

The technical explination I would give is that Netbeans sucks. I have no faith in sun's built in things. I've gone 3rd party for mostly everything and things work fine.

Try Eclipse like others have said.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!