Which Programming Language / Programs?

Started by
27 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 7 months ago
I started with Game Maker, then moved to python, then c++. I found either GML or python to be a good stating language. c++ is pretty dificult to learn without some prior programming experience
Advertisement
I started out with pascal. I like it ok, and delphi seems interesting enough. Then I started working with C. I am now learning C and C++

In the end as long as you pick one lanuge and learn it. Then you'll do fine. Just dont bounce around to another untile you learned the one your working with.
Do or do not there is no try -yoda
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Quote:Original post by Calin
*hobbyist* sorry for my spelling.

I am not suggesting that learning some other language is a bad thing.
What I am trying to say is that he will have face C++ sooner or later. C++ is the standard programming language in game development industry. It`s not easy to
go with C++ as your first programming language but on the long run it will pay off.

In the long run you'll know C++ regardless of what order you learned your languages in. Why would it matter in the long run whether you learned it first or third?

Studies show that classes taught Scheme first for half a year and then C++ for half a year yields better C++ programmers than just teaching C++ for a year [source]. So it does matter what order you learn languages in.
im a big c fanactic myself

c is compatible with every compiler and works on multiple platforms, and is the base of all programming languages

after learning c going to c++ or c# is just adding maybe a few new structures and functions to the mix.

a good place to learn c is from the tutorials and this compiler (its free unless you sell your projects)
lcc win32
http://www.q-software-solutions.de/products/lcc-win32/ <compiler and some other stuff

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32/ < contains the tutorials

as a matter of fact after you are able to do your variables and manage memory, skip strait to making windows and displaying info on a window

after becomming adept enough to create a window (all you need is a blank plain ole window)
move on to opengl
nehe.gamedev.net is a good place to learn opengl basics

then get the sound api's and finally winsock

the only problem is you have to learn different api's to be able to program on different platforms (operating systems)

opengl is available to all operating systems where directx is not
winsock is closely similar to unix sockets unless you use the wsa commands (dont, keep it simple)
the lower level api's are always the hardest..but they always work and they are portable

languages like .net requires the end user to download and install the .net...
if you making games thats going to be hard to explain to 12 year olds
remember..in gaming its all about the now, make it work the first time and be able to program around the users system while making sure it works on all systems.

as far as object oriented..thats basically like saying you treat your data first, but really means nothing.
as far as in c you can program any way you want to, procederal or object oriented

if the concept of object oriented doesnt make sense, ignore it and just make code that runs fast and doesnt crash.
object oriented concept still sounds confusing to me, its like abstract art or something
most of the time your code will be object oriented and you wont even relize it

all in all nothing is really easy, but the rewards are worth it.
i learned what i know just from basically free tutorials on the net
the main idea is to work with what ever works for you, other peoples methods may not be right for you. We all have our own little system of how we program.
C++.
-----------------------------Language: C++API: Win32, DirectXCompiler: VC++ 2003
Thanks for the responses everyone! I'll use the previous responses and any following responses as sort of a 'roadmap' on my way to game programming!

Just to let you guys know my current progress, I've installed Python along with Notepad++ (for syntax coloring and line highlighting/numbering). I also have Emacs and VIM but they seem way too advanced at this point, all I really want is something that's a bit more feature-rich than Notepad for the simple programs I'm writing.

I really like Python for its conciseness and simplicity, I took a C class before and I love how you don't have to specify a ton of parameters before you begin programming (like all that #include, global variables, main(), etc...). I've done some basic tutorials and have gotten used to doing loops, printing text out on the screen, and a simple array and how to call up data from it. Now I'm starting to read up on the slightly harder stuff and I'm also studying some code for some simple games.

Hopefully I'll be able to proceed rapidly and eventually program Pong!
Good to hear you're doing well with it so far, stick with it and let us know how you go! [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

c and all those other languages are nice...

however most modern games are written in c++ and use classes ( a special data structure in c++)

directx uses classes so therefor to use directx i recommend using c++
opengl works with alot of languages but still most people use c++
directx is easier to import models from most modeling programs because of the .x file format

go with c++, may be a steep starting point, but you are going to end up in c++ anyways if you are going to do any serious game programming

and just as always any post where somebody asks what language is best, you end up with the usual nerd war, "my language will beat up your language"..."oh yeah..my c++ will omgwtfpwn your language" lol, so don't let the experienced guys scare you with all their jargon.
there are alot of good tutorial websites,

for opengl in c++ use
nehe.gamedev.net
for directx in c++ or .net use
http://www.drunkenhyena.com/cgi-bin/dx9.pl

after you find your favorite language, then you must go through and decide what graphics api you want (opengl or directx), sound, network, etc.

nobody said it would be easy but it can be fun

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement