• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fboivin

Interpolator

This topic is 4774 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In DX, there is a bunch of possible interpolators to use (POSITION0, POSITION1, BLENDINDICES0, etc, etc). Are there any differences between the different interpolator themselves or I could pass my vertex position in BLENDWEIGHT, my normal in POSITION, etc as long as my shader matches the vertex declaration? I always thought that the different interpolators interpolates using different precision but never found any info about this. Thanks!

Advertisement
I'm not quite sure what you mean by the different type of interpolators. Perhaps if you could give some reference to them in the SDK, I could be of more assistance.

If you are talking about semantics (like float4 position : POSITION), then you should definetly be matching semantics to the correct input. From the SDK:
Quote:

In some cases, they [semantics] have a special interpretation. For example, an element that specifies D3DDECLUSAGE_NORMAL or D3DDECLUSAGE_POSITION is used by the N-patch tessellator to set up tessellation.

This means that certain semantics are used to identify shader inputs that require further processing. You don't want to process inputs that shouldn't be.

Quote:

D3DDECLUSAGE_TEXCOORD can be used for user-defined fields (which don't have an existing usage defined).

If you have a custom input you want, you should use the texcoord semantic.

I'm saying, are there any differences to the two following vert decl

D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 VertDecl[] =
{
{ 0, 0, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT4, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT, D3DDECLUSAGE_POSITION, 0 },
D3DDECL_END()
};

D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 VertDecl[] =
{
{ 0, 0, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT4, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT, D3DDECLUSAGE_BLENDINDICES, 0 },
D3DDECL_END()
};

One will pass a float4 to the vertex shader through POSITION0 and the other will pass the exact same data but through BLENDINDICES0.

Will the result be exactly the same? Is yes, that means that POSITION0, BLENDINDICES0, etc, are mainly there for ease of use of the shader? I though there may be some precision differences between them, but I guess after thinking about it that doesn't make any sense.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!