• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CoffeeMug

[web] A good html/xhtml/css editor

This topic is 4765 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking for a good editor that will let me edit html, xhtml and css. I've looked at a few alternatives including HomeSite and Dreamweaver but it looks like they don't fit my needs. Here's a list of features I'm interested in: - Ability to select my target schema (html/xhtml, version, etc) - A validator that shows me problems with my code as I type - Code completion - Simple toolbar that lets me add tags by clicking on an icon - Auto-indent - Syntax coloring That's about it. Homesite fits most of these but it looks so incredibly bloated that using it hurts my eyes. Perhaps someone could recommend something? EDIT: I should probably add that I don't care for the whole WYSIWYG business.

Advertisement
Quote:
- Ability to select my target schema (html/xhtml, version, etc)
- A validator that shows me problems with my code as I type
- Code completion
- Simple toolbar that lets me add tags by clicking on an icon

But you don't want bloated?

I use UltraEdit which doesn't validate but it has a html tag list that you can use to insert tags and it supports code completion albiet poorly. I've got firefox extensions for validating the html. I think I use it more out of habit now then anything since it has been more buggy (and bloated, but it is still a very fast and comparitvly light editor.) then ever since their version 11.0 release.

In any case it's shareware so it costs you nothing to give it a try!

Quote:
Original post by tstrimp
Quote:
- Code completion

It's simple validation based on a dtd, a code completion popup based on a dtd, and a toolbar with most commonly used tags. How is that bloated?

Quote:
Original post by CoffeeMug
Quote:
Original post by tstrimp
Quote:
- Code completion

It's simple validation based on a dtd, a code completion popup based on a dtd, and a toolbar with most commonly used tags. How is that bloated?

I guess we all have our own opinion on that matter. However I did find one editor you might like. The CoffeeCup HTML Editor. [wink]

On a more serious note Topstyle looks like it might have what you want.

CoffeeCup was my first consideration [grin] Seriously though, I don't know what its developers were thinking. Instead of 'ok' the dialogs say 'cool' and instead of 'cancel' they say 'no way'. That, along with a few sounds they used on startup pretty much helped me make up my mind.

I'll take a look at Topstyle, thanks.

I'll recommend PHP Designer 2005. Here is a screenshot:

http://www.mpsoftware.dk/images/php_full_main.jpg

It has everything you mentioned, but the debug isn't a "debug as you type" thing. You have to click a green button in the toolbar and it'll debug your source. Also, just because it's called PHP Designer doesn't mean it's limited to php! Its syntax highlightning colors are nice in my opinion (I wonder if anybody recognizes the colors from a different php place hehe). I guess that is sort of a debug as you go, because if you miss something chances are it will through the highlighting off for the rest of the script and you will notice.

It can easily switch between various syntax highlighting schemes. PHP, HTML, CSS, XML, PERL, JS, VB, Java, C#, all the SQLs you can think of, and then the mix! The mix is cool, it'll color your script different depending upon what language you are currently working in. So <style type="text/css">styles {}</style> would syntax highlight the styles inside using the CSS highlighter. :)

It's not very built up, 1.3mb for the whole download. There are the buttons at the top for you to click and everything. It has auto-indent... I think that's standard for most web editors lately anyways.

I finally settled on JEdit with appropriate plugins. It's not perfect but so far I like it the most. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Quote:
Original post by benryves
Another vote for PHP Designer 2005. The options to automatically close tags/braces/quotation marks as you type has sped up my coding a lot, at any rate!

If thats the one I think it is, the editor was a pain to get used to. It had non-standard ctrl-arrow (don't remember the specifics) and home behavior (takes you to column 1 not to the beginning of the line).

Ctrl+Left/Right work as normal - Ctrl+Up and Ctrl+Down scroll the screen up and down (ala Visual Studio). Home does jump to Column 1, assuming you have Word Wrap enabled, though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!