My Game - The Great Smiley Migration

Started by
18 comments, last by Parrot 18 years, 7 months ago
This is my first fully completed game, I thought I'd post it here and share it with you. Download link Description and instructions: The Great Smiley Migration By: Parrot The leader of the smilies has betrayed his people and sold his loyalty to a chain of discount stores for the simple priviledge of playing their mascott in TV commercials. He's sold the rights to all the smiley ancestral lands for the building of new stores, forcibly evicting smilies of all colours so that they must now frantically search for new homes. It's up to you to help guide the smilies to their new abodes. Good Luck! GAME PLAY: Smilies will periodically come onto the playing field. You must select the smiley by using the space bar, then guide him by using the arrow keys. You cannot reverse the direction that the smiley is going in. When more than one smiley is in play, use the space bar to switch between them. Guide the smiley to it's same-coloured doorway. Don't let it hit the walls or any other smilies. You get 10 points per smiley brought safely home in round 1, and 5 points are added to that total each round. You lose 5 points (and 1 life) for each smiley that dies. The amount of points you lose also increases by 5 for each level. Periodically bonuses like hamburgers and diamonds will show up on the game board. Guide a smiley to one of these in order to reap their benefits. A diamond will give you 40 points, and a hamburger will give you 1 extra life. Smilies will start to come out more frequently for each level as you progress. The game ends when you finally become overwhelmed and loose all your lives. The object of the game is to try to rack up as many points as you can before that happens. [Edited by - Parrot on August 29, 2005 3:41:42 PM]
Advertisement
Great Game!
I got 1680 my first time..

The game seems so simple but gets quite difficult, exactly like a game like this should be. The only thing I would maybe change is more of an explaination when you loose a life (I didn't have sound on so I don't know if you hear something)
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
2125 first time. Pretty cool idea ;) I think you could increase the difficulty a bit. It didn't get 'real fun' until level 7 or so. Good job.
Linkified for you.

That's a damn good game! How did you make that, is it VB, C++ or C#?

It's always nice to see something different, that was a nice thing to play.

I can see it getting difficult later on though.

Great job!

ukdeveloper.
For those of us on Macs, can we see a screenshot, or better yet, a video?
Very nice game man. I would recommend a setting to let players jump ahead a few levels so they don't have to play the really slow stuff.

By the way, 2155 first try.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----Version: 3.12GCS/M/S d->+(++) s+: a19? C++++ UL++ P+++ L+ !E W+++ N+ o++ K? w!O M-- V? !PS PE Y+ PGP t++ 5+++ X R tv+> b+(++)>+++ DI+++>+++++ D++G e>++++ h! r y?------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Good work! It is made with GameMaker, so I wouldn't call it a big game, because that application makes almost everything for you... But good job anyway! ;)
That's Excellent! I didn't know we could use HTML code in these forums! Thanks to that knowledge I've linkified my download and added a screenshot.

skittleo - I actually got the idea for this game from another game that I played a while back... but many of the concepts that I used are my own original ideas.

Doggan - Setting the right difficulty has been a balancing act. I think it's different for different people because I had one person tell me that he could only get as far as level 6.

ukdeveloper - None of the above actually. This game was made with Game Maker ( link ). I do know C++ and all that, learned it in college, but I felt that a game like this was well suited to be made in Game Maker.

Turt99 - Yes, there is a sound when one of the smileys dies. Turn on your speakers and see for yourself :)
overflowed - I could do that, but then players wouldn't get a chance to build up points and lives in the easy levels. I suppose I could just give a set amount of lives and points per level you want to jump, but that somehow feels like cheating...

rexTroianus - It's true, Game Maker does do a lot of the work for you. But even so this game contains about 500 lines of code, so it wasn't a complete walk in the park :)
great game congratz on that but i'd becare with your adjictives if you think of 500 lines as a big game you will never have the ambition for a 10,000 line game. I'm making a Drug Wars game, text based and currently unfinished at 3200 lines of code. Even that is not a big game.

-Lordoftools
-Lordoftools"Knowledge is not only a gift it's a responcibility."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement