Sign in to follow this  
LittleFreak

Simple Directx Physic engine...

Ive been building a completely Directx9 based engine. Everything is standard directx9 all my meshs are .x so I was wondering if there any tutorails on building one I'm even willing to get a book to learn to do it... Its for a MMORPG engine so I dont need complex physics just simple ragdoll for like Realtime death animation, weapon movement, and simple item droping and rolling. What i want to do is make every mesh have a bool statement that will tell if it is to be animated or be free falling in the physic engine... Any help will be great... Thanks

Google Gamasutra Gamedev Physic

Edit: How far from being finished is your engine? have you even started?
(if you have already a working graphic engine then sorry...but many people try to build a super cool MMORPG with the best graphic,physic, and network code evvaaarrr and don't even get to actual writing any code...)

Graphic end of it is still very much in the beginning because of trying to make the upgrade to directx9... All the books I have are on 8 im getting a few books in this week on 9 so Im planning on starting that soon though thats why I am asking... Right now I just have my graphic end set up for text drawing and simple model drawing, simple lighting, and the things ive been working on the most is shadows and shaders I figured that was ok to work with cuz doesnt have to do with physics... I realy dont have any of the interesection end of the system worked out because I want to to a real time physic engine for some cool weapon functions because its a hack and slash engine... the only issue though is anything Ive seen or read on physic engine is using .bsp or non directx based stuff. I dont want to use .bsp because I want real time lighting.

Hi there LittleFreak,
How are you doing?

The Problem
How to get a physics engine up and running and some other concerns.

The Solution
First on the list ... let me work back to front is the fact that you can use real time lighting with quake/doom maps that are using the bsp (Binary Space Partitioning or a Binary Space Partition Tree) structure. But that's not the question is it?

Depending on what you want to do I would say the following examples are in order.
1) Look at how some of the free physics engines do it.
Tokamak
Novodex
2) If you are interested in how things work in real life, I would suggest reading
up on some physics yourself such a newtons laws and general.
a Fantastic resource is FearOfPhysics
The Explanations are concise and easy to follow.
3) Use the free physics engines in your game and see how they interact. The best
way to learn is to practise and see how objects interact.

I hope this helps a bit,
take care buddy.

One of my issues here is im trying to make a completely marketable engine... so I want to do everything myself. Even though they are free physics engines they all have clauses for using them for comersail use. Ive been looking at some of the physic stuff on the gamedev website and I thought it was gonna be little more difficult then just using the equations that I learned in physic class... I think all I have to do is do a little bit more research on .x formats to figure out how to have each section of my character models react differntly for a rag doll effect. Magnus links though realy helping reminding me of all the stuff I learned in physics class.

And with bsp my game is using directx9 shaders so it dont work to well with that and one test I did made all my player models look sweet and the land look like it was a whole nouther universe but when I use .x mesh for lands it blends and looks perfect... also I have already built a level designer using .x format... I can custom build my maps and out port then as .x I found tha an easy way to mix height map and objects together...

Also on a side note Ive been working on this engine for about 2 years now... It started as a directx8 engine but Im gonna rewrite it all directx9.... I did alot of the others parts(networking, inputs, sound, still working on graphics). And learning alot of the new features in directx9 getting little troublesome. So I had a decent directx8 engine going and I started some game programing but then 9 came out and I was amazed at what it could do so Im updating everything before I start on game code again... I give you name of my project and everything but its still under raps until I start the full game programing...

ok then good luck..i think you can get all the formulas in the internet and if you still need help with 'em there's a Math&Physic forum here.

regards,
m4gnus