What language are you using?

Started by
32 comments, last by languard 18 years, 6 months ago
I'm ineligible for the contest, but I've been doing stuff in ActionScript 2 lately.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

Advertisement
C++, not using Java because it's too slow to port my engine to and it doesn't offer a lot of the low-level functionality. For anything other than a game i would have used it as i've been discovering the wonders of java lately and i'm touched by it's ease of use [smile].
C++ with Lua scripting. I've used C# a little bit, and it seems nice, but I decided for this contest I'd just stick with what I knew best. Plus I didn't feel like fighting with a wrapper for OpenGL and ODE and Lua support.
I like the DARK layout!
i'm using blitz3d. i hope that i don't lose points using that language.
We won't be judging your source code, only your finished product. If you pick a language/technology which is poorly suited to your choice of project, and the quality of the project suffers as a result, then you'll lose points - but it'll be points lost for a poor-quality project, not for the programming language.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

C++ w lua
Quote:Original post by superpig
We won't be judging your source code, only your finished product. If you pick a language/technology which is poorly suited to your choice of project, and the quality of the project suffers as a result, then you'll lose points - but it'll be points lost for a poor-quality project, not for the programming language.
For an ambitious project, Blitz is probably too inflexible. But for a simpler game in terms of graphics it's proably faster for developing - leaving you more time to implement the gameplay. And ANY language can do game logic easily.

You could just hope we forget you're using Blitz if it worries you!

i'm just a little worried because there are a lot of blitz haters here. i think i can make a game with b3d at least as good any c++ user here.
Quote:Original post by d000hg
And ANY language can do game logic easily.

I wouldn't say that. Take a look at Wikipedia's list of esoteric programming languages. [smile]

Quote:Original post by skyfire
i'm just a little worried because there are a lot of blitz haters here. i think i can make a game with b3d at least as good any c++ user here.

Since they won't be judging based on language, it shouldn't matter whether they dislike the language or not. One of the reasons people dislike Blitz BASIC is that it lacks some features that other languages have, like OO (in pre-Blitz MAX versions), first-class functions (it might have this, not sure), reflection, type inference, variant types and pattern matching (C++ also lacks some of these). Although, some people just dislike BASICs in general (possibly because of the syntax).
Quote:Original post by skyfire
i'm just a little worried because there are a lot of blitz haters here.
Rest assured that you will not lose any points because "we don't like Blitz." As far as I know, none of the judges dislike Blitz anyway.

Personally, I've never used Blitz, but I view it as I view any programming language - as a tool with particular applications, strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes it's the right tool to use, and sometimes it's the wrong tool to use. Whether you pick a tool that does the job well is more important than the tool you actually picked.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement