What language are you using?

Started by
32 comments, last by languard 18 years, 6 months ago
I was wondering, what programming language are you people using for your contest entry? Any around that use Delphi too? VB perhaps, or is the majority still C++? [edit: added 'for your contest entry']
Advertisement
It was C++ up until a couple of years ago, but now I'm using C# almost exclusively.
Dito. C++ in my learning-programming-almost-for-real time, and switched to C# in my learning-programming-for-real time. C# is the first and only programming language in which I don't really write WTF code anymore (at least compared to my VB time ;P).
I'm using C#, first time using it for a game which means I had to figure out all of Managed DX. It has been pretty smooth going, and I'm loving the plugin sysyem I am making that is a second generation of my last C# plugin system. Both are relatively small and simple to create, and all of the plugins are compiled at runtime so that the scripting doesn't slow anything down.
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~
I'm glad to see a lot of people trying out or already switched to C#. Much like going from assembly->C and then C->C++, if you can produce within 1% or less the the same thing in less time, with less bugs, and make it easier to maintain, you should do it. If not for reducing headaches, the reduced time means you can make something even better with the time you saved.

It will take a while for the whole industry to standardize on C#, but it's coming. I've already seen a number of newer studios using C#, and as the number of C# qualified programmers in the work pool increases, bigger development houses will have the ability to switch languages with confidence.
I must say I'm surprised as well.
IIRC, In a previous poll C++ was in favour by far, but in here C# appears to have the upper hand.
That's because all the c++ programmers have given up already. Ok, maybe just me. But I didn't give up as such...
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
I'm thinking maybe C# is more popular here due to the short time limit on the contest. Making a C# entry should be quite simpler than a C++ one, if you don't have a codebase in C++.

Personally, I just like C++ better. Nothing to do with speed, just it's "style". Me likes. :)
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
I'm using C++ for the majority of the stuff I'm doing. I'm also writing a lot of my code from scratch, and I'm currently on my 3rd rewrite (thanks to some bad planning on my part), but when I'm done, I'll be able to keep the base code and write a new game using a fair bit of the old code (which I wouldn't have been able to do with my older versions). It's a good thing I'm not still using C (I used it for the first version), or this thing would have taken forever to get up and running, and would have been almost impossible to change. Both C and C++ are good at teaching you how to program if you're good at learning from your mistakes.
Right now i am using C++. Before that i used Turbo Pascal,Visual Basic(very little),Delphi, and finally came to C++. Haven't tried C#...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement