Linux

Started by
1 comment, last by nprz 18 years, 7 months ago
This is not a war thread or anything, I just wanted to know if there was more resources in linux for programing in perhaphs c and c++ since its open source. Or are there more in windows?
Do or do not there is no try -yoda
Advertisement
It definitely comes with more, providing you install all the programming languages, either when you set it up, or in the Package Manager system after you've installed it.

I've got FC3 (never updated - that machine ain't online ever), and I installed all the programming languages. It came with all sorts, Boost, GL, SDL, everything you need to make Linux apps, and I think it also had wxWidgets, nCurses, GTK+, Perl, Ruby, Lisp, you name it, it's either there or available online from somewhere. It basically has everything, or can have everything, except Win32 and DirectX.

The downside is you do need to find the linker flags for gcc if you're using it on the command line. Or you could try KDevelop - I've slated it in the past, but having used it I find it's not all that bad after all.

On your Linux box, go to /usr/include. That has all the different header files etc. in there.

That's in terms of your locally based "resources". You'll find a vast development community online too, and seeing as it's Open Source, you could quite easily find people tweaking each other's code here and there.

HTH,

ukdeveloper.
C and C++ shouldn't be specifically platform dependent, except for libraries that you include.

There is quite a bit of information for Windows specific code because the majority of programmers program for it.

Whenever programming stuff for linux, I haven't had a problem finding online resources for it either.

I think there is plenty of information out there, so there shouldn't be any reason to compare numbers (which could start a flame war [grin]).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement