Can gzip open Windows .zip files?

Started by
11 comments, last by kdogg 18 years, 7 months ago
The thread name really says it all. I am wondering because I want to put some source code on my website so anyone can download it, but it would be a pain for me to put it in .tar.gz
Advertisement
gzip can't open normal zip files, but I think pretty much every linux distribution around comes with zip support too. At least all the ones I'v used. not sure about Mac though.
When gzip doesn't work, I usually try unzip.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Quote:Original post by Simian Man
The thread name really says it all. I am wondering because I want to put some source code on my website so anyone can download it, but it would be a pain for me to put it in .tar.gz

It would be a pain..?

Assuming your game is just sitting in one directory (called 'game' for example), I don't see what is such a big deal about typing,

tar zcf MyGame.tar.gz game

Which will create a gzipped tar file containing everything in the game directory.
Parallel RealitiesProject: Starfighter
Well you see, It is the code that I want to put up. It is in about 20 files on my Windows machine. To put it in a tarball, I would have to burn it to a CD, take it to school, put it on my school drive, secure shell to a Linux machine (via Putty), put it all in my Linux account, create the tar ball, then do the previous again in reverse.

That's why it would be a pain (compared to using winzip), but since the response was pretty much lukewarm to Linux users being able to unzip it, I decided to do it anyway.
You could just install cygwin on your Windows box.
7-Zip has a Windows version, and it can create gzip files.
Jooleem. Get addicted.
From what I've seen most common linux programs have win32 ports, usually a little googling is all that is needed.
Thanks guys.

googlyeyes: that is an awesome link thanks!
Quote:Original post by googlyeyes
From what I've seen most common linux programs have win32 ports, usually a little googling is all that is needed.

I prefer GnuWin32.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement