What about the Scheme language?

Started by
29 comments, last by Spoonbender 18 years, 7 months ago
Is it good?What kinds of programs can you do with it?Do any of you guys use it?Do u recomende it? Thanx
Advertisement
I use it for transforming documents from one format to another and for writing interpreters. It's very good at that. I do reccomend it. Try this free online book
Yes I recommend learning it.

It is an algorithmic language.

It is dynamic.

It is deceptively simple on the surface and extremely rich underneath.

It is a completely different way of programming than what you are most likely to be used to.

There are many implementations.

The only downside to scheme is, while there is a standard, most scheme implementations do things somewhat differently. I suggest get PLT scheme and learn that first.

It is a timeless language, while other languages come and go, Scheme will always remain because it is based on a mathematical model of computing and not on the latest hardware trends.

It is not a very good language for system/real-time stuff (it could be ... ) mostly because there are no commercial Scheme machines available (but there are Scheme machines designed at MIT).

Go forth and learn Scheme my friend.

"It's such a useful tool for living in the city!"
It sounds interesting, is it free? If so, where can I download it?
Scheme is the language of the future.

It always has been, and always will be.

:-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
Scheme is the language of the future.

It always has been, and always will be.

:-)

Then it is useless and might as well not exist, being of no use to those who exist in the present. [smile]
Quote:Original post by Parrot
It sounds interesting, is it free? If so, where can I download it?

There are many Scheme implementations, I believe most are free (Wikipedia's list of Scheme implementations). Scheme is just a language and standard library specification.
Scheme is the language used in UC Berkeley's introductory computer science course - a course designed for people that might not have had previous programming experience. This is the book we used.

Personally, I loved Scheme. Having used C-like languages for some six year prior I found Scheme to be a breath of fresh air.
The biggest downside of Scheme is that it isn't taken seriously. (Similar, in that respect, to Delphi, which is haunted by its Pascal roots.) It's mostly seen as a teaching language; the Big Boys use Common Lisp. It does have some respect as a scripting language, however.
Quote:Original post by Name_Unknown
Yes I recommend learning it.

It is an algorithmic language.

It is dynamic.

It is deceptively simple on the surface and extremely rich underneath.

It is a completely different way of programming than what you are most likely to be used to.

There are many implementations.

The only downside to scheme is, while there is a standard, most scheme implementations do things somewhat differently. I suggest get PLT scheme and learn that first.

It is a timeless language, while other languages come and go, Scheme will always remain because it is based on a mathematical model of computing and not on the latest hardware trends.

It is not a very good language for system/real-time stuff (it could be ... ) mostly because there are no commercial Scheme machines available (but there are Scheme machines designed at MIT).

Go forth and learn Scheme my friend.

"while other languages come and go" ?????

Such as ???

And dont list a bunch of assembly languages or languages that were little more than someones Masters project.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement