doom 3 smoke / fire

Started by
6 comments, last by timw 18 years, 7 months ago
do any of you guys know how to warp rendered images like in doom 3? im tyring to recreate the effect but have no direction =(
"a low level aho master like you couldn't kill me even if I let you"
Advertisement
Moved to graphics.

Kult House - Fresh Production Media

sorry bout that, mate. got so used to posting in the longe, its almost second nature
"a low level aho master like you couldn't kill me even if I let you"
I believe the 'heat/water vapor' effect you're talking about it done via pixel shaders.

I know only that which I know, but I do not know what I know.
There are polygons involved, so it's like particle systems, but I am not sure what sort of texture blending or shader they use.
grab the framebuffer as a texture in the area where the haze is, + simply apply some fragment shader to it results in a destorted image, check javacooldudes site he has a similar example
You don't even need to use fragment shaders for it. Grab the framebuffer as a texture, then render a grid of quads textured with it. If you move around the vertices in the grid, the image will distort - pulling vertices towards a single point will cause a 'pinching' effect, for example.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

wow, that's a neat idea superpig. just to add my 2 cent, I got to thinking and realized if you wanted more smooth refraction effects, you could use a bezier patches or something simliliar, I'd think that doing this kindof image morphing with poly, to get good results would require large number of poly. I'd assume to small a number would expose the pologonal structure of the latice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement