using copyrighted music in games

Started by
42 comments, last by -silencer- 18 years, 6 months ago
hey, the game im programming, i am going to sell it, but i want to use some music, popular music, do i have to ask the producer or something to use it, or can i use it freely?
Advertisement
Of course you need to ask them.
damn, that sucks, what about the instrumental?

do i sitll have to ask for that?
style of the music doesn't matter, if it's copyrighted, you always have to ask permissions for using that in your game.
is there a way i can ask online, or do i have to call make an apointement, blah blah
The music industry is not very forgiving on such things. You need to talk to the owner of the song's copyright or their agent (can be a legal minefield). A cheaper way is to find a friend who can compose something origional for you and come to some arangement with them, ie profit sharing. either way get some legal advice relvent to your country.
if you want to sell you gam you have to ask the producer but if you don't sell then (i think) you can use any song you want(at least it's like that with movies...i think it's the same with games)

regards,
m4gnus
"There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't."
If the song is copyrighted you must ask permission. If you dont, in theory this is a crime.

This is always true and in particular if you are planning to sell the game.

So think about the rules your country applies on this matter( USA [smile]? )
If I'm not mistaken, the copyrights for music expires after 100 years, meaning that you can use classical music like Mozart or Bach. Beware though, the recordings you find on CDs are the intellectual property of the musicians that did the recording, so you'd have to re-record the music yourself.
2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2
Quote:Original post by Goldfish
If I'm not mistaken, the copyrights for music expires after 100 years, meaning that you can use classical music like Mozart or Bach. Beware though, the recordings you find on CDs are the intellectual property of the musicians that did the recording, so you'd have to re-record the music yourself.

So from 2070 you can release a special version with the Rolling Stones greatest hits!!! Wheeee [lol]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement