Sign in to follow this  

D3DSTENCILCAPS_TWOSIDED on ATI ?

This topic is 4492 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, I would like to know something about the capability D3DSTENCILCAPS_TWOSIDED. Some times ago, I wrote a shadow volume program which used this cap. On NVidia it worked fine, but on ATI, it failed, due to the lack of this cap. But recently, I ran the program on a 9600 and it worked :/ So, my question is : if ATI added this cap to their cards, what is the first of their card to have this cap ? And could the DirectX driver automatically detect if this cap is missing, in which case it emulates it ? Thx in advance for any reply ^^ Edit : as nobody answer this question, I'll ask something simpler : can anybody with an ATI card check the D3DSTENCILCAPS_TWOSIDED, and tell me the model of his card and if it has D3DSTENCILCAPS_TWOSIDED or not ??????? [Edited by - paic on August 30, 2005 7:15:31 AM]

Hi, since it works on 9600, I assume it also works on higher ATI cards, but thx for the reply ^^

I guess I'll assume it doesn't work under a 9600 :/

Checking if the cap is missing is easy.
Call ID3DDevice::GetDeviceCaps(), then check the filled D3DCAPS9 struct for the D3DSTENCILCAPS_TWOSIDED with
if (pCaps->StencilCaps & D3DSTENCILCAPS_TWOSIDED)

The first ATI card to expose D3DSTENCILCAPS_TWOSIDED was the Radeon 9600, it isn't exposed in the 7500, 8500, 9000, 9100 or 9200.

AFAIK it's a DirectX 9 level feature, so older cards from other vendors don't support it either. For example nVidia GeForce 4 Ti doesn't support it but the GeForce FX 5200 does.

This topic is 4492 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.