Sign in to follow this  
gamerking

htmldoshelp

hi, i have a problem with a prick we use a html based forum room (needs to be refreased to acces the newest message etc.) and i was wondering if i could make a dos attack on a person whenever he annyoyed me./ i'm not asking for anything illegal i just want some html code that lets me ignore his comments (source later)

Quote:
Original post by ace_lovegrove
I'm afraid you won't get any help with anything malicous sounding like that. Can't you just ban him from the forum?

ace

no i can't it's html disscusion like thing i'll try to get the source code tommorow

maybe the way i have put this makes it sound bad what i want is some code to remove all his messages from my computer i want to add it to the original than compile it on my pc and talk to my friends i don't care if he can see it or not as long as i don't get his replies

What you're thinking of is something that blocks out certain users' post content, client-side. There's no compiling or saving of anything involved. I recommend looking into making extensions for Firefox, as this is likely to be the easiest solution for this particular problem.

I've been off and on working on a little project that incorporates much the same feature, and I'd be happy to proffer you the sources behind it for reference. You'd have to forgive the mess though, it's much a "hey-it-works" phase thing. Didn't expect anyone to look at the sources either, so it's not really written out for end-user readability. Heh, bad style, I know.

Conceptually, it works like so:

if page is target_forum then
get posts by format from page
foreach post then
if post.author isin block_list then
page.removeChild( post )
end
end
end

There's a tad more to it than that, but that's the guts of it. You'll have to figure out the format for the forum you're browsing as each forum tends to use its own layout.

Hope that helps.

If you ever do switch from Internet Explorer to Firefox, then this site will help you in getting started with extension development. javascript implements the functionality behind extensions where XUL and similar XML-like languages give you the interfacing.

Hope that helps.