Sign in to follow this  

caculator project help please

This topic is 4492 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

heres my calculators source #include <iostream> using namespace std; int main() { int length; int width; cout << "please enter length: "; cin >> length; cout << "please enter the width: "; cout << "the area is "; cout << length * width/2; return 0; this is for a traingle i know but could i change this code to allow input of the function eg. divide (/) ps. how do i get this code into those white boxes? thanks [Edited by - gamerking on August 31, 2005 5:46:38 AM]

For a triangle it should be:

cout << ( (width/2) * length );

If you wanted to yes you could write an equation parser. This would be alot of hard work though and i'm pretty sure there is a library out there somewhere that will do this for you, google.

ace

The input can be a string and then parse it (i think i saw a math library somewhere in sourceforge if you want).
As for the white boxes, you can color the background of the input text to white.
(i think it can be implemented with SetConsoleTextAttribute)

If you only want to be able to specify what operator to use, like / or *, just read one character and check what it is. Here's an example:

char c;

cin >> c;

switch(c)
{
case '\':
cout << "Dividing" << endl;
break;
case '*':
cout << "Multiplying" << endl;
break;
case 'this is supposed to be a plus-sign, but it doesn't work.':
cout << "Adding" << endl;
break;
case '-':
cout << "Subtracting" << endl;
break;
}

This will enable you to let the user input for example 2 numbers and an operator. But if you wan't to make your calculator more advanced you'll propably have to use an equation parser as ace said. But I guess that you only want to make a simple calculator, so that won't be needed.

And just to avoid some confusion, ignore what pex22 said about white boxes. It seems like he misunderstood you. What you want is [source]code goes here[/source]. You can find it in the faq. What pex22 talked about is coloring your programs background.

Anyway, I hope this'll help you.

Get hold of "The C++ Programming Language", by Stroustrup, go to Chap 6, Sec 6.1 "A Desk Calculator".

Step by step howtos on (1) the parser, (2) the input function, (3) error handling (4) the driver and (5) command-line arguments (optional). You might be able to get info on the 'net by searching 'Stroustrup desk calculator'.

Good Luck!

--random_thinker

This topic is 4492 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.