Sign in to follow this  
Ultra The Vampire

Irrlicht: how would i go about getting a face's texture and altering it?

How would I get a face's texture and altering it? like if brush has a water texture on it. how would i go about telling the engine to treat it as a entity and grab the top part of the brush and apply water coding (waves and stuff) or if the camera was in inside the brush to load up fog coding? I know irrlicht can load Quake3 levels, so if someone has link to how to do it with quake levels that would help. Although i would appreciate something more general so i have to be constrained to 1 type of level.

Clicky! Take a look at setMaterialFlag and setMaterialTexture. They can be used to create fog and water effects on scene nodes.

Also these tutorials should have the information your looking for. Tutorial 7 shows how to load a quake 3 map, and number 8 shows how to do some special effects.

I'm not exactly sure if you are asking how to apply water effects / fog or something else though ...

in halflife you can apply a water texture to a CSG brush and the engine will understand this brush is supposed to represent water and apply water coding to the whole brush and wave coding the top of the brush.
What i want to know is, is there a way to do this in Irrlicht with meshes, or at least the quake3 BSP's?

Ahh I understand what you are trying to do now, I remember I've attempted to do this awhile back but never figured out how to, or if you even could. I don't think this can be done automatically though. It's been awhile since I've used Irrlicht but maybe it would be possible to either write a new or modify the quake 3 level loader using the IMeshLoader interface. Or it may be possible to somehow apply a certain effect to only a certain texture (try the API help on the Irrlicht site). I am really unsure about all this though, maybe you could try the forums at the Irrlicht site?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.