Shadow Volume Flickering

Started by
12 comments, last by RPTD 18 years, 7 months ago
i'll try this one out once. one question though: what is SLT doing? don't remeber this command somehow.

Life's like a Hydra... cut off one problem just to have two more popping out.
Leader and Coder: Project Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

Advertisement
i tried out your suggestion and received a strange result. on components (models made with a 3d app) do work with this and procude no more flickering. terrain patches though (single sided, non closed, grid-like patch) does still flicker like hell. now this makes no sense as no matter which of both i use both end up as a triangle-list which is then shadow-rendered (hence it should be the same for both).

*scratch head*... anyways... it is a beginning (50% works now *grin*). one problem though still stays. if i get very close to a model surface the shadow gets wrong, even without the z-fight-matrix applied. can you look once more at the matrix and the shaders? i see no reason why very near to the camera-plane this effect happens. if the model moves roughly 10m away from you the effect vanishes. seen something like this?

Quote:
one question though: what is SLT doing?

That's Set if Less Than -- it returns (ra < rb) ? 1.0 : 0.0.

Quote:
can you look once more at the matrix and the shaders?

I just noticed that the (3,3) and (4,3) entries of your projection matrix are negated (they should be e-1 and -1). Was there a reason for that? OpenGL won't be too happy without m.a43 = -1. It could be the source of your problems.
the negation has a reason. my coordinate system has x towards right, y towards up and z into the screen. to get the matrices from my coordinate system to work with opengl i multiplied in a scale matrix with (1,1,-1). that's where the negation comes from.

i already played around with the e-1 value in the matrix but no matter if with or without minus it did not get rid of the effect. it's also not a one-machine problem. i have the same problem on both my machines, one with Radeon 9700 and one with Radeon 9600. no nvidia box around with shader support to test.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement