Sign in to follow this  
gdroot

midp opensource x-com project

Hello, I am checking the interest for the development of an opensource clone of the old 'x-com: enemy unknown' game from microprose. It would be written in J2ME/MIDP. This would be a shared project on sourceforge. Anyone interested? / Marcus

Now seriously, I'm a long time UFO: Enemy Unknown fan. One of my favorite games EVER. I still play it. :D

I'm also a game programmer with some experience on J2ME and MIDP technologies, which I use on my job.

I'd love to embrace a project like that. [inlove]
I can help with code and maybe some other stuff, since I have some experience in this area (note: I am no guru [grin]).

Feel free to message me. [wink]

Action / adventure / strategy / roleplay / management. A gamer's dream.

What do you mean non-intuitive interface? It was just some icons you had to click on to do stuff. If you didn't know what each icon did, you just had to press one and see. ;)

BTW, reading the manual could have helped too. :X

Guest Anonymous Poster
Ok, ill create a sourceforge project in a few days (im quite swamped at work right now) and let you know! :)

GDROOT i maybe interested depending on how serious you are about this. I've a few J2ME games under my belt and its always a game i've fancied doing.

Would like to write an isometric engine for it. Or Hex if the project goes that route.

I am serious enough to get this thing going and let everyone who wants to contribute do it :)

I tried registering a project on sourceforge but apparently you need quite a long description of the project. Feel free to contribute on that area as well!

Any suggestions for a project name? I registered under the name JXCom for now.

Also, it would be nice to brainstorm some key features.

Lets keep this thread updated frequently :)

[Edited by - gdroot on September 3, 2005 7:13:18 AM]