Sign in to follow this  

graphic card performance drop?

This topic is 4487 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, the performance of my graphic card (nvidia quadro) seems to have degraded for no apparent reason. (~600 fps to ~15fps on my test app) is this most likely a hardware fault? or could it be that i've poluted video card ram (using vertex buffer objects and such, programs that use them seg fault now) this is under linux. thanks

If you're sure it cannot be caused by your own program/libraries, switching/upgrading drivers could also have caused this kind of thing. I once halved display list performance by installing a newer driver for linux :)

I would not consider it likely to be a hardware failure (but then again, you never know).

Tom

Guest Anonymous Poster
About your "test app", did you do any changes to it in between? Bear in mind even small changes can cause big drops at first because the FPS scale is not linear, since frames_per_second = 1 / frame_length. While a 40 to 30 FPS drop is definately something to consider 600 to 150 is not as bad.

This effect is most notable if a game loop does nothing than frame updating and and time measurement, and when one then adds some content to it there will at first be a huge FPS decrease.

This topic is 4487 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.