Sign in to follow this  

Tools Used for Diablo 2

This topic is 4489 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, I am just got interested in graphics and I loved diablo 2. I was wondering if anyone knew the software tools they used to make the game? Like what program they used for making the characters and what program they used for making the background. I want to create a game that is set inside a mall. So can anyone recommend a good tool for rendering shops in a mall? Like coffee shops, bookstores, bars, etc. I would like the graphics to be as good as Diablo 2. Thanks, USCnorm

Since your other topic will be locked or deleted:

Just because the graphics are 2d does not mean they didn't use 3d-studio max.

What would you rather do:
Draw a character over and over and over again for every angle he could be viewed at
or
Make a 3d model of a character, spin it in 3dstudio, and take a "print-screen" for every possible angle?

I think it's important for you to understand that the tool doesn't make an artist. A tool is a tool. 3D Studio Max and Maya are probably out of your pricerange, unless you go for the learning editions. From there it's all about taste. One tool doesn't create effect X better than the other tools, it's the artist that makes the difference. But an artist trained in 3D Studio probably won't make the exact same effect in Maya just because he doesn't know the tool. Just try to follow a Photoshop tutorial while using The GIMP, I know I have and boy it's hard. Just pick up whatever you can afford and learn it. =)

Quote:
Original post by DrEvil
diablo 2 used 3d models and rendered out various frames of animations to 2d sprites.

Megavoxels I belive. You can find libraries of these types all over the internet

Quote:
Original post by bjle
Just because the graphics are 2d does not mean they didn't use 3d-studio max.

Absolutely correct! This is what Age of Empires 2 did, they made 3D models then simply exported everything though the respective viewports, thus giving a 2D appearance.

Also note that if you try to NOT do this method, what happens when you need to make a change? *Shudders*

This topic is 4489 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.