How to stay in shape, when all your time goes to game programming?

Started by
57 comments, last by Four 18 years, 7 months ago
The easiest and fastest way to lose weight is to jog. Every morning I run for about 40 minutes and afterwards I can laze for the rest of the day.

Try it.

Mike
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
5 meals a day sounds excessive

@#$%in' hobbits... [flaming][rolleyes][grin]
Me being one of the skinny guys, I don't know much about fat-beating diets and personally I'm trying to put on weight :P But the ebst thing for you to do is just join a club or something where that night a week you go out and have some fun playing soccer or something, you probably do have alot of spare time on your hands like when you take a break from programming and study so just to start off go out in the garden and sunbake or see a friend or something. Atleast then your out of the house and will lead to a healthier lifestyle
What we do in life... Echoes in eternity
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
@#$%in' hobbits...

Exactly! When was the last time you heard of a hobbit needing heart surgery? [grin]
I stay in shape by eating healthy. Exercise is overrated. If you eat a bowl of vegetables and a salad every day (and avoid too much junk food), you'll be fine.
Well, I work 8am-5pm, go to the gym for 45 minutes, eat healthy... lots of protein ;) Get home, go on the PC for 3-4 hours, sometimes more (programming and learning) Then I go out on Friday night (we all have to have some sort of social life ;)) Saturday I relaxe by coming on the computer... although my girlfriend argues.

I've been doing this for 2 1/2 years, weigh 175lbs, bench 215lbs, arm curl 145lbs ect... (I'm 5'11)

Therefore it's not hard to get into really good shape, just spare 45 minutes a day at the gym and you'll see results (not instantly mind you, but as time progresses you'll see them)

Think of it this way, working out PROPERLY is the most important part. There are tons of resources on the internet that will show you proper technique... it's much like programming. Learn the proper way of doing things, apply them, and see results. If you get into bad habbits, you'll hurt yourself and won't see results as fast as you should. (If you get into bad programming habbits, you'll never be as good as you could be and you wont get there as fast).

But as mentioned above, the key to getting in shape is eat healthy. Eating healthy doesn't mean **NO CARBS**. Don't get sucked into that trend. I'll sum up why: Your brain feeds of carbs to work properly. Deprive it of carbs, you'll feel more weak and tired. And that can affect your working out (weak) and your programming (tired).

Eat Protein, Carbs, Sugars and don't forget to take your multi-vitamin pills! They actually DO help a lot.

Quote:hplus0603: No potatoes fries, chips, donuts, cakes, or white breads.
Very careful with white rice, tortillas, pasta, etc.

Disagree completely. Yes, you shouldn't priorities in those meals, but if you like eating pasta, by all means go right ahead and have a bit with your main dish. Although pasta does contain "empty calories" it is a great source of carbs. Same goes with potatoes. Again, just don't stuff your face with these things only... and getting thinner doesn't just involve eating all veggies. Personally I can't stand most vegetables, and I've been mainting my weight with a good workout and healthy eating habbits.

Want to treat yourself to a piece of cake? maybe a donut or chips. Sure, just don't eat too much as it'll be stored in your fat cells. Remember, whatever fat that is left over from your digestive system gets absorbed as fat cells. So you can treat yourself to something once a week, just dont go crazy and eat it every day.

My 2 cents.
loooooooool
Gamedev is definetly a life school.

In the beginner stage, you can find advise to keep you heathly ! Imagine what is waiting for you gnaaahaha!!!

I love gamedev.net
I think weight is a bad way to measure success, when I joined Jiu Jitsu I don't think I lost any weight, but I felt a lot better and gained a lot of muscle. The first thing you should do is talk to your doctor and see what see how out of shape you are. You might have to start out on some low impact stuff like walking or jogging, weight training is also good, but you need to find a friend to go with you because my main problem with those things has always been that I get bored and quit. If you are a little out of shape I'd recommend Jiu Jitsu or Aikido, or one of the various grappling arts, since someone trying to choke you into submission never gets boring, and the adrenaline provides a small neurochemical incentive. You might try Karate or some of the various striking arts, but I've found the quality of schools varies wildly, and that most of these martial arts place more emphasis on Kata and form rather then techniques relevant to an actual combat situation. (Deflecting a samurai sword with a pocket knife may impress women, but when are you ever going to use that? Better to know how to escape the guillotine or bend a guy's arm backwards) Also, stay active throughout the day, walk or bike to the store, and switch to Diet Sodas, yes the artificial sweeteners cause seizures and brain damage in some people (read the label) but you're cutting a significant source of calories out of your diet (I now ingest 600 fewer calories a day, which shows you how a small caffeine habit can get out of hand...) Good luck!
"Think you Disco Duck, think!" Professor Farnsworth
I always make time for my kung fu training (except during crunch mode). I typically will go during my lunch break. Martial arts training not only sculpts your body nicely, you build lots of muscle, lose lots of fat, and can kick butt. There are also huge MENTAL benefits as well. I've noticed my focus and problem solving ability go way up not to mention mood enhancement. Plus, if anyone ever raids my office, they'll get a beat down. ;-)

Your health is more important than an hour or two of coding. Besides, it's nice to see the sun once in a while. :)
I'm biologically lucky: right in the middle grounds, and havent ran/exercised for more than 5 seconds in 8 months.

But still.. rocking out to music (linkin park) while you're programming has to help a little bit.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement