How to stay in shape, when all your time goes to game programming?

Started by
57 comments, last by Four 18 years, 7 months ago
I just wanted to point out the famous formula of less calories means less fat.

The problem with that formula, is the human body never has a constant metabolism.

It's rather adaptive.

If you lower your calorie intake, your metabolism will adjust to match the calories you are burning.

So just lowing your calories doesn't mean you WILL loose weight.

Because if you just start eating 1000 calories a day then your body will only try to burn that many in a day, so your weight stays the same.

The trick is to make your body burn more calories than your are in taking.

This is done by spreading your meals out throughout the day, not letting your metabolism get a rest.

Also it's better to fluctuate your calorie intake every other week, there by making your metabolism re-adjust it's self.

go to 1200 calories one week to 1800 the next week.

for every person it's different, but your metabolism takes a while to adjust to a new calorie intake, and it's only when you lower your calories it takes a while.

If you were to eat 1200 calories the first week then switch to 2000 calories next week, your metabolism has no choice but to burn off more food.

however, when you go from 2000 to 1200, your metabolism still thinks it's going to get 2000 calories, so it's burning the food faster than it needs to. It takes
most peoples metabolism around 1-4 days before it slows down to the 1200 calorie mode.

But this all depends because some people can eat 5000 calories a day and not gain any weight (14-20 year olds)

while for others eating 2000+ means gaining weight.

Also you want to try and stay from trans fats and sat fats, as they are difficult for your body to break down.

but the best way to loose weight is to make your body burn more calories than you are eating, so fluctuate your calorie intake every week, or every few days, and get exercise.
Black Sky A Star Control 2/Elite like game
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by ViperG
If you lower your calorie intake, your metabolism will adjust to match the calories you are burning.

This is true to some extent, but such changes to the basal metabolic rate are rarely significant; after all, physical activity is responsible for a much larger energy consumption than basal metabolism.
Hey good new's I got a new job at the district library so theirs a lot of excersice involved and I am already looking better. Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. With all your replies I have compiled a sure fire way to get my weight down. It is as follows:
1. Got my free workout plan from FreeTrainers.com
2. Walk a lot during work
3. and finally decided I don't have to practice programming until it hurts

And again thanx to everyone who posted a reply to the thread I started.
"A pointerA and pointerB fell in love with the same adress"
I'm in shape. A circle's a shape, right?
You should never have so little time after programming that you can't go excercise or something, unless you work 12 hour days + crunch mode.
I lost a fair bit of weight by cycling to college and back instead of taking the bus. Was about 8 miles each way and it really seems to have made a difference without really costing me more money than the bus trip or taking any longer than the bus would have.
Some of the larger development studios have on-site gyms that their staff can use, free-of-charge.

I eat healthily (or at least I try to) and I could even say I eat alot, but I'm not fat. In fact, I'd say I was slightly under weight.

I guess I just have a high metabolism. Also, with karate training for 3 hours per week, that helps too.

Take up sports on your days off and enjoy exercise. Do it whenever possible.
Arron Bailiss | UndeadInsanityNetwork Programmerwww.ArronBailiss.co.uk
I'm very thin. And I only read the first page of posts but I'll add my ideas for weight control :)

I'm actually lucky because I've never been overweight and I'm asian so i think maybe I won't gain weight as much as some other people. Also, I barely eat that many meals I usually just eat 1-2 meals a day (if that) i never ever eat 3...not planned or anything...I'm just not that hungry usually. But I do eat a lot of junk food and snacks all day.

Anyways, I sometimes see some fat people and i think basically they just eat too dam much -.-

Seriously, my bf and I were in this buffet place the other day and almost everybody that was there was like 200lbs overweight! Just stop eating so much.

Also, If I feel like I might be a lbs. or two overweight i just don't eat anything for a day or so. Some people might say that that is unhealthy...but I'm fine. And you can easily skip a day of eating without dying :)

I never exercise either nor do I watch any calories. I just don't eat much and if I ever feel fat I skip meals...works for me! Good luck.

Do what everyone said before and when excersizing I would recomend to move fast right away. But not too long you could faint. Eventually you could move fast for longer period of time and your body will adjust to moving fast by loosing weight. Not only move fast but accelerate fast. Make sure to warm up because moving fast too soon will rise your blood pressure too fast and cause you to faint. I never heard of anyone say anything like this, but it worked for me well. I cuted out all juices too and just drank water, interestingly I wanted to drink lots of water naturaly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement