Sign in to follow this  
Raeldor

Most widely used 3d modelling package?

What is the most widely used modelling package for commercial game development? I always thought it was 3ds max, but then Maya and Lightwave seem to be getting a lot of attention too. Thanks Rael

Don't forget Softimage XSI, they're moving in the good direction, and I'm sure they'll be a key company in the near future, in regards of videogame development

Guest Anonymous Poster
At medium to large game companies it's Maya, by far.

Definately Maya at medium to large companies as stated above. It is the superior package for animation although XSI is coming on really strong as well.

As far as I've seen, Max and Maya are very close in popularity among companies in the games industry. Max definitely had the early lead, but over the last 4 years or so, Maya has done very well. The other packages aren't even close. I've only seen a very few companies use Lightwave. I've never seen a company that used SoftImage although I'm certain that some do.

Max is the most used.
Maya is a close second.
SoftImage is third.
Lightwave is probably a close third.

BTW, I'd disagree with the comment about Maya being superior for animation. Out of all of these packages I'd rate SoftImage as the best animation program. That's always been it's strong suit.

-John

Quote:
Original post by Troll
I've never seen a company that used SoftImage although I'm certain that some do.

Maybe you Have heard of a small company named Valve?, They have this game out named Half Life 2? [lol]