Most widely used 3d modelling package?

Started by
9 comments, last by technic 18 years, 7 months ago
What is the most widely used modelling package for commercial game development? I always thought it was 3ds max, but then Maya and Lightwave seem to be getting a lot of attention too. Thanks Rael
Advertisement
I think it is still 3D Studio Max, older versions in particular 5.x, some people use Maya, but I think the bulk of experienced Game Artists use Max.

I might be wrong though.
I think they are used almost equally.

Don't forget Softimage XSI, they're moving in the good direction, and I'm sure they'll be a key company in the near future, in regards of videogame development
At medium to large game companies it's Maya, by far.
Definately Maya at medium to large companies as stated above. It is the superior package for animation although XSI is coming on really strong as well.
alot of modellers seem to be turning to modo these days

all our in house artists rave about it
As far as I've seen, Max and Maya are very close in popularity among companies in the games industry. Max definitely had the early lead, but over the last 4 years or so, Maya has done very well. The other packages aren't even close. I've only seen a very few companies use Lightwave. I've never seen a company that used SoftImage although I'm certain that some do.
Max is the most used.
Maya is a close second.
SoftImage is third.
Lightwave is probably a close third.

BTW, I'd disagree with the comment about Maya being superior for animation. Out of all of these packages I'd rate SoftImage as the best animation program. That's always been it's strong suit.

-John
- John
Quote:Original post by Troll
I've never seen a company that used SoftImage although I'm certain that some do.

Maybe you Have heard of a small company named Valve?, They have this game out named Half Life 2? [lol]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement