Sign in to follow this  
Wizumwalt

how to create a graph

I need to create a graph for my model so that I can traverse it and find all the unique edges and adjacent faces in my mesh. Right now my mesh is made up of all triangles. I was thinking of using a winged-edge data structure. How do I create this graph or what's it called? Is this a tree or a matrix, or ...? Any help/advice/google words/comments much appreciated.

Quote:
Original post by Wizumwalt
I need to create a graph for my model so that I can traverse it and find all the unique edges and adjacent faces in my mesh. Right now my mesh is made up of all triangles. I was thinking of using a winged-edge data structure. How do I create this graph or what's it called? Is this a tree or a matrix, or ...?

Any help/advice/google words/comments much appreciated.

Well, a graph is a graph. It is a specific data structure. you can create one by using two structures (oversimplified pseudocode):

template <class T> struct Node
{
list<Link*> links;
T data;
};
template <class T, class VAL> struct Link
{
Node<T> *from;
Node<T> *to;
VAL value;
};

You can google for 'graph "data structure"' - it will give you a bunch of links (among them: the boost graph library).

HTH,

Guest Anonymous Poster
Maybe he means a scene graph?

Mr. Creamy

No, not a scene graph. I have a mesh of triangles and I'm trying to make a true representation and construct a graph so that I can search it properly for all it's edges. That's my final goal. So I need to find a data structure to build the graph and an algorithm to search it so I can build a unique list of all it's edges.