Should I Be Using This?

Started by
9 comments, last by Drew_Benton 18 years, 7 months ago
I'm just starting to make simple games using C++, and currently I'm using the Borland Graphics Interface libraries for the graphics. Is this a good way to learn and make simple graphics in games or should I start learning DirectX, OpenGL, or something else? Thanks!
Advertisement
Well i havn't heard much mention of the Borland Graphics Libraries around here. Most people use DiretcX, OpenGL or SDL. I would suggest using one of these for two reasons. Each of these is likely to be more mainstream than what you are using now, secondly, coinciding with the first, your questions will be more answerable if they are based on more well known APIs.

Stay cool,

ace
BGI is pretty dated. I would suggest using SDL or Allegro for doing simple 2D games instead. However, that may require you to download a new compiler.
Thanks, I thought BGI might be dated because I hadn't seen anyone talking about it or asking questions. I think I'll try SDL because it seems pretty popular around here. Thanks for the help!
If I recall correctly even at its time, it was at most used to render charts, never game development, back then for games, you would set the video mode with an ASM call, get a pointer to the video memory and start plotting pixels away, I am talking DOS era here.
The BGI lib I was using isn't THAT bad. I made a simple Pong Game with it.
To be honest if you are learning the basics of game programming, it doesn't matter much what graphics library you are using. Using the BGI means you won't need to figure out how to get some external graphics library working and fix problems related solely to its connection to your compiler. That will let you focus on what you are trying to learn (regardless of what graphics API you use, most of what you do in the beginning will likely turn out to be horribly wrong and inefficient anyway).
Quote:regardless of what graphics API you use, most of what you do in the beginning will likely turn out to be horribly wrong and inefficient anyway

Oh yeah .... that's very consoling no matter how i try i will mess up anyway [smile]
Quote:Original post by Error98
Quote:regardless of what graphics API you use, most of what you do in the beginning will likely turn out to be horribly wrong and inefficient anyway

Oh yeah .... that's very consoling no matter how i try i will mess up anyway [smile]

We all did it, and then learned from the crazy ideas we came up with how to do things properly. [wink]

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by Error98

i don't think he meant that you will mess up, just that they first way you do it might not be the best way, but it will work, then from there you can research other ways and refine it. it'd be like developing a program to sort through a bunch of entries, and use a bubble sort it might not be efficient, but it will work. and the most important thing when learning is making it work, then worry about efficiency.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement