LNK2019 Error: Probably a template problem:S

Started by
3 comments, last by grekster 18 years, 7 months ago
While working on my event manager ive encountered a linker error and i think it could be a problem with my templates (not sure though). At the moment I have: MDWEvents.h

class cEventManager
{
private:

public:

template<class T>
	void RegisterListener(char* EventName, T* pClass, void (T::*func)(cEvent&) );
};

MDWEvents.cpp

template<class T>
void cEventManager::RegisterListener(char* EventName, T* pClass, void (T::*func)(cEvent&))
{
	int ID = this->RegisterEventType(EventName);
	cSignal1<cEvent>* sig = this->Events[ID];
	sig->connect(pClass,func);
}

All the other functions that ive defined link ok so im not sure on the problem. If anyone has any ideas (or even better a solution:) )id love to hear them.
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
Advertisement
What's the exact error message?
damn, how did i forget that lol

JABRECLO error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall cEventManager::RegisterListener<class cGame>(char *,class cGame *,void (__thiscall cGame::*)(class cEvent &))" (??$RegisterListener@VcGame@@@cEventManager@@QAEXPADPAVcGame@@P81@AEXAAVcEvent@@@Z@Z) referenced in function "public: __thiscall cGame::cGame(void)" (??0cGame@@QAE@XZ)

and the function call is

this->Events.RegisterListener("START_SHINE",this,&cGame::AnimationEvent);
Template functions need to be defined in the header file. Otherwise, how would the compiler know how to specialize the function? Move RegisterListener to MDWEvents.h.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Great thats fixed it, knew it was a template problem been ages since i last used them.

Thanks a lot JohnBolton

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement