Sign in to follow this  

Ps2

This topic is 4480 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am interested in making a game (Private use among me and friends). But I don't want any of my friends to have to buy a mod chip or use the disk swapping meathod. So could anyone tell me how the ps2 tells the difference between it's pressed cd and my CD that has my game on it or give me a trick to fool the ps2 (modifying the cd not the system)? Thankyou for any help you can provide

PS2 games are pressed with disk errors at the beginning acting as copy protection. There is no way to replicate this with a burner. The only option is a mod-chip and/or swap disk.

So it is the disk errors at the beggining of the disk that the ps2 looks for to see if it was pressed? Would it be possible to read these errors with a specialy developed program? I assume that since you can't replicate this, DVD-Rs have something at the begginning already? Using a boot disk or modchip is too dangerous and is sure to invalidate my ps2 warrenty, so do I have any other options to play a game I mad on the ps2?

[Edited by - Black Shadow on August 31, 2005 8:40:23 PM]

Trust me , if it could have been done it WOULD have been done already. You arnt going to be able to make anything for the PS2 you couldent make for the PS1 anyways. There are swap tricks and AR mods for the PS1, use that, and make it PS. Otherwise im assuming you want to make copys of PS2 games.

Even if I can't I still want to know how it works. If nobody wants to tell me can they at least give me a site where I can find out EXACTLY how this works? (I spent 6 hours looking for the answer on google yesterday so PLEASE HELP ME!!!)

There are 6-9 bad sectors burnt onto the disk, to my knowledge this is done by the laser burning hotter over those sectors. This is something that is hardware locked on the CD burners itself. Technicaly you could probably adjust a CD burner to replicate it. It would take millions of tries, and plenty of adjustments, and the technical knowhow that I just dont know to make those adjustments. Go ahead and try if you want. You will probably go through about 10 cd burners in the process, and have to write custom software to handle it.

Your DVD drive can pick this up the same way a ps2 can (correct me if I am wrong). So if I were to make a program that would read raw data from the disk and I knew what to look for I could see what the errors look like making it easier to imitate right? Also if anyone knows of a website where I can look this stuff up instead of burdening you with this please post it.

Yes I read his post. He says that it is most likely impossible. Even if I can't burn it I still believe there may be other ways to fool the ps2 wich I would like to try out. Even if I can't make ps2 read my game I am still curious to know exactly how it works. Thanks for try to save me a lot of trouble though. So If anyone knows what the errors might look like to a DVD reader (if it can be picked up???) or knows a site where I can learn this stuff so I don't have burden you with what is probably a stupid post to you guys, please post.

[Edited by - Black Shadow on September 1, 2005 9:52:23 PM]

Thanks, you still have to use the swap disk method to use it though. I will probably use though. Just out of curiousity, if I had a special program to use with my dvd burner could my burner pick up those disk errors when reading (even if it can't write them)?

You can't use the PS2 Linux kit to make physical CDs or DVDs of your game, unfortunately. Sony is so paranoid about security that the kernel can't access the CD/DVD while the operating system is running.

There might be a couple kernel patches, but I doubt it. Your best route is probably to do the swap exploit.

Thought Id make my first post in a subject i know a little of, hehe. Yes, your dvd drive can actually read the error bits - and burn them as well. I know this because there are CD/DVD copy programs like Alcohol 120% and DVD Decrypter that can do this (read PS2 games to image, burn image to DVD). Apparently, if you don't have a modchip in your ps2, you have to patch the image. What this patch does is make your disc bootable, maybe something to investigate? Im not sure if the patch are the actual errors but there ya go. Either way, your going to have to use a modchip or do swap disc to be able to play the disc.

I think you are wrong about that because if the errors can be burnt what would be the purpose of putting them there in the first place. if you are write and everyone else so far is wrong which I doubt then there would be something else that makes a ps2 disk bootable. anyway thanks for trying to help but I think the other guys are write. Also to others I have slimline which I hear memory card exploit doesn't work with.

[Edited by - Black Shadow on September 5, 2005 9:44:45 PM]

Quote:
Original post by Black Shadow
I think you are wrong about that because if the errors can be burnt what would be the purpose of putting them there in the first place.

To prevent people from being able to copy the discs...

Take a look at SecuRom for example:
Quote:
SecuCD-R
Sony DADC can supply you with customized CD-Rs. You can use SecuROM as usual to encrypt the application. After that, simply burn it on your SecuCD-R with a standard CD-R writer and hand it over to your tester.

So as you can see, there are special cds that are used. With other protections and stuff, bad sectors, disc 'errors', and other stuff can be added to the CDs to make them un-copyable to regular CDs with normal software without the decrypting algorithm.

That's where I'm going to stop, since Superpig has already issued the warning about trying to circumvent Sony's security practices [wink] If you want to do more research, start googling around.

Well I want to do more research but after 6 hours on google and not finding anything it seems hopeless. I assume that my dvd reader and my ps2 reader are the same so if I am wrong on this or someone has an actual site where I can find more info please post. Otherwise thankyou for your all for your help especially Drew_Benton.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Any idea if these pressed errors also apply to the XBox?

I believe that the X-Box uses a different type of copy protection:
CDs and DVDs are usually read from the inside out, the XBOX starts on the outside edge and reads it's way towards the center of the disk.

I've heard you can still create XBOX discs by filling the center with an empty buffer hnd pushing the rest of the info to the outside (Though I think it'd still be backwards), but don't ask me how.

This topic is 4480 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.